What's new

Starting as a freelance writer and blogger

PamelaC

Hey guys!

My big goal is to get my blog up and running by August 13th. I've never created a blog before, so I'm learning from the ground up. I find myself getting stuck in the weeds and going down rabbit trails in trying to figure out how best to set up. As a freelance writer and mom, I am creating the blog as a personal development and business success resource for other freelance moms, but I can't seem to actually sit down and write my first blog post. Thoughts keeping into my head like who am I to say what are best practices for freelancers, what makes my blog so special from all the others, is this really the reader I should be going after. I know I need to just do it, just start.

SO!

My goal for this week is to have all of my blog pages up (Disclosure, About Me, Home, etc) AND to have drafted 2 blog posts.

Cheers to all of you and your goals!

Ssandra

For what it is worth, I enjoy blog posts about starting much more than I do about people who want to tell me how to do things.

I think a very interesting approach, and one that I have not seen much, is if you would be completely honest about your process. Such as, trying out new software for to do lists (I personally enjoy Asana), and how it is working for you, and a few weeks later do a follow up on if it is really working the way you thought it would work.

ltk20

I started a blog recently, too! I know it can be challenging to write that first post and introduce yourself (I don't always like writing about myself). As much as I can get nervous about posting, there are two things I have found to be helpful. First I sometimes start by drafting my thoughts and notes in a notebook. The actual act of writing with a pen rather than typing can help get the ideas flowing. And working off those notes can help you get your first blog down. Secondly, ultimately, the best thing to do is sit down and just write whatever you're thinking, even if it sounds like word vomit to you in the beginning. You can always go back and make edits and changes.