What's new

Memorization Technique - Method of loci (Memory Palace)

JonQuinnHubble

Hello, I have always had an interest in memory since I was in high school. In fact, whenever I had the option to select the topic of a project, I typically picked something revolving around memory. So I am glad to be able to discuss this topic!

One of the coolest things I came across while studying memory was the Method of loci. It has very deep roots spanning from the ancient Greek and Roman times. Essentially, the technique uses visuospatial memory to remember sequences. Some people may have heard of this referred to as the "Memory Palace". The method is to imagine things you want to remember by "placing" them within a physical location, such as a house, street, or something of that nature. Memory champions use this technique when tasked with memorizing sequences of numbers, letters, playing cards, etc.

Consider it walking into a house where you already know where everything is. That is why this method shines when committing things to memory. Has anyone ever used this technique when trying to improve memory?