What's new

Challenge your brain

Genevieve

Alzheimer's runs in my family. Every time I forget where I put my sunglasses, which by the way is daily, I worry about those genes. My great-grandmother lost her memory fairly young, but my grandmother staved off the progress of her Alzheimer's I think partly because of the difficult crossword puzzles she played every day of her life.

There are so many studies one can google now exploring the link between brain exercise, increased memory, and slowed progression of Alzheimer's. Crosswords may not be for everyone. The key is to challenge your brain. Personally, I like to vary it. I'm horrible at crosswords, but I do them from time to time since they challenge me (and they make me think of my grandma). I like brain teasers much more! Sudoku and other puzzles are where it's at for some people. Nowadays, there are tons of apps that allow you to play games just a few minutes a day and sharpen your memory.

Learning new information is another way to challenge your brain. Learning a new language is fun and helps your memory! I like science but it doesn't come easily for me, especially things like physics and dark matter. It can take me 30 minutes to read and understand five sentences but the mind stretching is worth it!

What sort of activities challenge your brain?