What's new

Bedard highlights NHLPA Novice Showcase

Jedlicka

ARLINGTON, Va.-- Connor Bedard took his very first strides on the ice in a Chicago Blackhawks jacket Tuesday. Bedard had actually previously placed on a Blackhawks jersey after they chose him with the No. 1 choice in the 2023 NHL Draft at Bridgestone Sector in Nashville on June 28, yet this time he was wearing his very own jersey, with his name and No. 98 sewn on, in addition to a complete collection of hockey pads. "It's really cool, " he claimed. "I believe you wouldn't feel it until a game, yet just to be with this organization and city and every little thing, it's a desire become a reality. I believe for the support we've obtained given that the draft and simply that group in basic, simply maturing watching them and seeing type of their runs was pretty trendy. So to put the jacket on is really special." The whole day was special for Bedard, who participated along with 33 various other players in the NHLPA Rookie Display at MedStar Capitals Iceplex. The gamers signed memorabilia, participated in photo and video fires on and off the ice for EA Sporting activities Riley Sutter Jersey, and positioned for their first main Upper Deck trading cards. That last component was a little bit surreal for Bedard, that was an avid hockey card collector as a child. The majority of the ones he owned are still resting in some binders at his moms and dads' home in North Vancouver, British Columbia, consisting of a Wayne Gretzky newbie card. "I haven't assumed regarding it too much, however I assume if I were to open up a pack or something and see myself in it, it would certainly be a little crazy, " Bedard said. "Maturing I was a big card guy. I enjoyed opening up packs and stuff, so I assume that would certainly be awesome." Exactly how lots of points will Bedard rating his novice period? Ahead prospects Matt Savoie and Logan Stankoven likewise claimed posing for their first hockey cards was an emphasize minute. "I really collected cards when I was pretty young, traded them on the bus in primary institution, " Savoie said. "To see it kind of come cycle is actually great." Bedard, though, remained in the eye of more than simply electronic cameras, with fans attempting to ferret out the 18-year-old as he got on the bus at a local resort for the brief ride to the Washington Capitals' method center. "It's part of his fact, " said Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman possibility Stanislav Svozil, that had fun with Bedard with Regina of the Western Hockey Organization last period. "I had not been amazed. This is what happened after every video game in Regina. And afterwards away games too. So Aliaksei Protas Jersey, I wasn't stunned." Bedard is utilized to the added interest he garners. He was approved outstanding player status to play in the WHL as a 15-year-old in 2020-21 and had been thought about the favored to be the No. 1 choice in the 2023 draft long prior to last period. And before he's also made his NHL debut, he's currently had his video game contrasted to Connor McDavid of the Edmonton Oilers and Auston Matthews of the Toronto Maple Leafs. "It's not that crazy right here, " Bedard said. "You obtain made use of to it a little. It's an occasion, like Integrate and those type of things. It's type of regular." Connor Bedard presents his abilities at NHLPA Novice Display Although Bedard is made use of to the interest, it was a brand-new, and invited, experience for a few other players. "I'm probably the only fifth-round pick here, " stated New york city Islanders forward prospect William Dufour, who was selected in the 5th round of the 2020 NHL Draft. "When I was prepared, my representative informed me that it's just a number, simply a round. Go to training camp, do your personal point. I keep working, I never ever quit, and right now, I'm below with all the very first rounders, 2nd rounders. So, I'm quite pleased to be below right currently." Montreal Canadiens forward prospect Owen Beck had a similar feeling. He made his NHL debut in a 5-0 loss to the Ottawa Senators on Jan. 28 Hendrix Lapierre Jersey, do with 9:48 of ice time after being recalled on an emergency basis from Peterborough of the Ontario Hockey League. Beck was returned to Peterborough after the one video game, however he's wishing an event such as this will certainly offer him that extra self-confidence to have a longer stay in Montreal this period. "Being below is kind of something I never ever believed would occur, " he stated. "A dream become a reality seeing yourself on a hockey card. Last night we were opening up packs at a little dinner, I actually drew out one of my very own cards. My tummy sort of gone down and I resembled, 'Is that actually me?' "It was pretty awesome.