What's new

Writing proccess

I've been a freelance writer for almost 2 years now, but I still don't have a writing routine. So I was wondering if you could share some routine to make writing easier?

tyleralecia

I'm easily distracted so when I try to write, I know that I won't get far if I'm around loud people, my phone, my friends, or a TV. I also like to have a drink and some snacks near me, so I'm not tempted to get food. Depending on what I'm writing, I like to put on music at a low volume that will match the tone. Before I write anything, I always make an outline as well. And even if what I'm writing doesn't need a thesis statement, I make something of that sort before I start, so I can remember what the purpose of my piece is.

I've been a freelance writer for almost 2 years now, but I still don't have a writing routine. So I was wondering if you could share some routine to make writing easier?
like tyleralecia said getting distracted while writing is the biggest challenge to overcome. Personally,, when i write i try to find a quiet corner in the house where i can be alone and away from distractions. I keep only the relevant tabs and browser windows open to stay on path. Oh and i also make mental notes about what needs to be done before starting my writing session and then check them off one by one. I find that i am more productive late night and very early in the morning.

Thank you, your replies are highly appreciated. But I am more interested in a writing process itself. Meaning how do you do your research step-by-step, and how quick are you able to write let's say a 500-word article for some topics that you are no expert in. You probably had some of these throughout your career.

Akita

Thank you, your replies are highly appreciated. But I am more interested in a writing process itself. Meaning how do you do your research step-by-step, and how quick are you able to write let's say a 500-word article for some topics that you are no expert in. You probably had some of these throughout your career.
If I'm not knowledgeable about the topic, the first thing for me to do is research thoroughly enough to have something to say. Then, I can typically bang out the article in an hour. Research period can be anywhere from five to 45 minutes, for me.

oh i misunderstood you then! well my writing routine is like this, when i am given a topic to write about which i am not knowledgeable i simply google for it and consult various sources. For example recently i had to write about crypto currency a topic i am not very knowledgeable about so i googled basic information about it first from various sites. Then i consulted a few articles written about it and VIOLA! after 50 minutes of research and jotting down key points i was able to write an article in hour and a half. Hope that's helpful for you

Yes, it is helpful, thank you :) The good news is that I've recently regained my inspiration. Apparently, it was just a bad period when it comes to writing. Now I am doing the similar thing that you are doing, but I use the app called Evernote, it helps me feel more organized when it comes to my research.

shrills

I'm so terrible at routines, man. Discipline is definitely a priority. I've found that even if I'm blocked, I'll sit in front of a blank canvas on my computer for a specific period of time, just to remind myself that I am still committed and adamant about finishing a project, because I can easily just go to sleep or go watch TV or some other mundane activity.

If I get inspired, no matter where I am or what I'm doing, I pull out the notes app on my iPhone and scribble down what's on my mind. I've found that I've come up with some great material on a whim while sifting through notes that I casually created. I often draft them into bigger ideas, which keep me motivated and convinced that I am capable.

Ecoleman24

I'm easily distracted so when I try to write, I know that I won't get far if I'm around loud people, my phone, my friends, or a TV. I also like to have a drink and some snacks near me, so I'm not tempted to get food. Depending on what I'm writing, I like to put on music at a low volume that will match the tone. Before I write anything, I always make an outline as well. And even if what I'm writing doesn't need a thesis statement, I make something of that sort before I start, so I can remember what the purpose of my piece is.
These are all great ideas, Tyler. I was already doing a few of them but I think I'm going to try them all. Your suggestion to make an outline sounds like it may be the solution I've been looking for to get back on some sort of track this year with my own writing goals. Thank you.

Ecoleman24

For anything under 800 words I try to keep my research time under 2 hours (under one if I can manage it) I know this doesn't sound like much but in 300-500 words you are only going to be able to offer an overview at most on any topic. If you are getting paid to do these articles, any time over that 2 hour mark would have you in the red as far as profit. ($50 overall pay, 2 hours research, and hour getting your info together and an hour writing and 30 minutes proofing and editing, 30 minutes composing emails to client or replying to them and you are only at $10 an hour and most short articles don't pay that much if you are a newbie that doesn't have an in demand field of expertise)

For example, if I am writing about a new health supplement I queue up news reports or reputable videos on the topic while I'm folding laundry (killing 2 birds with one stone there)

Google the topic and refine your search with the tools menu located under the search bar to items posted in the last week or month so you are not sorting through a lot od 4, 8 or 10 year old information links on the topic.

If you have keywords that the client has asked you to use, searching the information sites you bring up for those will help you focus on the high points. I could go one for days but I'm sure you don't want that much information LOL I hope this helps you.

hayeske

I absolutely love Scrivener. I've had in on Mac and Windows, and it's a bit of an indulgence (though they have a demo version to see if you like it) that I have never regretted.

It's best suited for anyone who writes a lot of notes or pulls research for writing pieces. It allows you to keep all of your pieces together in a digital binder, and even has presets to publish for eBook or manuscripts for shopping.

I feel like I actually become more disciplined and organized the longer I use it because it makes it so easy.

(No, I don't work for this company. lol I just really love this program.)

Zeitgeist

I wouldn't really say this is a routine, but when I know that I have a deadline for writing or coding, I make sure that I head over to the nearest coffee shop and set up. I get my headphones on, buy a large coffee, plug in my laptop, and just work. This method pretty much guarantees me a solid few hours of nonstop work. I can only do this a few times a week since coffee can get expensive.
I also just try to make sure that every night I have about an hour set aside for personal writing (I work better at night). I turn off the TV, make sure to put on my playlist, and just write. It doesn't matter what kind of personal writing I'm doing as long as it is writing. I've managed to finish a lot of drafts this way and then once I've finished a draft, I start doing the coffee shop routine I mentioned above.