What's new

Writing for 8 hours straight

I write web content for a living, but today, perhaps for a first time in my life, I have been writing for 8 hours straight. It's not a pleasant experience at all as I feel exhausted and empty. Questions for all the writers of the world, how do you cope with that? Do you have some strategy for making this easier for me?

Ssandra

My coping strategy? I don't write 8 hours a day. :)

What I do do, if I have to write a lot, is to work 4 hours in the morning (9:00 - 13:00) and another 4 in the evening (7:30 -11:30), but I try to mix it up between doing research, writing content, and writing outlines for future content.

And I get up a lot to go to the bathroom, get a snack, get some water, walk the dog etc.

My coping strategy? I don't write 8 hours a day. :)

What I do do, if I have to write a lot, is to work 4 hours in the morning (9:00 - 13:00) and another 4 in the evening (7:30 -11:30), but I try to mix it up between doing research, writing content, and writing outlines for future content.

And I get up a lot to go to the bathroom, get a snack, get some water, walk the dog etc.
Well, that's a good strategy, but I was in a rush as I wanted to impress the new client, and a job was challenging. It was interesting for the most part, but I feel I've dragged out the last part because I wanted to do this quickly. Next time, I am definitely setting up my own pace, just like you.

Katie2100

I agree with Ssandra, taking breaks and splitting your writing between other tasks can help you focus and in the end produce better content.

ben_paul_22

Agreed that it's tough to strike the balance. On the one hand, it's beneficial to get in the groove and pound out a bunch of writing. But some days, all that does is drain my energy.

If I'm solely writing on the computer, I've found that taking 10 minutes away from the screen every 90 minutes or so can help me focus and not be in such a daze. Took me awhile to realize that it isn't counterproductive if my 90 minutes at the computer are fruitful.

mhess

I’m much more productive if I go in spurts of activity. Try breaking the task down into hour chunks with small breaks in between to read, scroll social media, or even just stare out the window.

Human8

If you're the type of writer that has 16 hours in your day without a need for 2-5+ hours dedicated to something specific my strategy might work for you; if you're trying to keep it "mainstream" in organized shiftwork I don't have as effective of advice. Alternating one hour off an on across 16 hours has worked well for me. Otherwise a rocking chair, cyan or psychologically pleasing color background for the words, or a little minicycle under my desk as energy/restlessness permits for blood and cerebrospinal fluid flow