What's new

Working from home

shelbyk

I have been working from home for a year now, and while I feel like I have a successful system set up, I am always on the lookout for tips to improve my own work by modifying my environment or adopting new habits. Does anyone have experience working from home or any favorite tips/ways to be successful doing so?

DanRoz

Hey! I freelance and work from home a bunch as well (for pretty much the past half year or so).

First off - could you possibly give some insight on your successful system? I'd genuinely love to hear what you've learned works and doesn't.

Some things that have been key for me, personally:
- Pushing myself to change location (be it a different room, a nearby cafe, or a public library) throughout the day
- Breaking up my work segments (part of the beauty of wfh for me is that I can work for x hours, hit the gym, work more, eat, etc..) - small bursts of focused attention really boosts my productivity
- Limiting distractions (using website blockers, phone on airplane mode, for instance)
- Setting clear goals and tasks (and recording it in a notebook)

These are some of the immediates that come to mind. Looking forward to more insight here!

JonQuinnHubble

Hello! I consider myself more of a "café hopper". Whenever I am tasked with a new assignment, I like to find a brand new café to work at. Luckily, I live in a big enough city to never run out of new interesting places. I find that a change of environment is the biggest help for me. Plus, every time I walk past a café I have completed an assignment at, it feels like a bit of a trophy!

Ssandra

If you have a pet, get it used to sit on your lower legs while sitting/lying on the couch working. You'll feel bad getting up and disturbing them and therefore be more productive.

waldemar

Hey! I freelance and work from home a bunch as well (for pretty much the past half year or so).

First off - could you possibly give some insight on your successful system? I'd genuinely love to hear what you've learned works and doesn't.

Some things that have been key for me, personally:
- Pushing myself to change location (be it a different room, a nearby cafe, or a public library) throughout the day
- Breaking up my work segments (part of the beauty of wfh for me is that I can work for x hours, hit the gym, work more, eat, etc..) - small bursts of focused attention really boosts my productivity
- Limiting distractions (using website blockers, phone on airplane mode, for instance)
- Setting clear goals and tasks (and recording it in a notebook)

These are some of the immediates that come to mind. Looking forward to more insight here!
Thanks Sir this is a great tips for starters like me who left the office to start my own venture at home. There are times that life is so rough on me on generating income, however I think I need to focus on my goal to be financially free and be more disciplined and review my work ethics.

DeeDeeDaylee

I have been working from home for a year now, and while I feel like I have a successful system set up, I am always on the lookout for tips to improve my own work by modifying my environment or adopting new habits. Does anyone have experience working from home or any favorite tips/ways to be successful doing so?
Great question! I totally enjoyed reading the responses. What great replies, gang! I've worked from home for quite awhile and I've found that getting up and going to my yoga mat for a few moments really helps me to unwind and get ready to tackle the next project. I find that it rejuvenates me and clears my mind. I actually get more work done by taking a few moments to stop.

I've been a freelance writer for a bit more than a year now. And while I do think that changing a location every once in a while can be a good solution, I've come to realize the importance of a routine which in my case usually means, the same desk, a cup of coffee, two notebooks, and a special kind of music. But it's nice to know that you can always go to the coffee shop, or a bookstore, just to mix things up a little.

DanRoz

I've been a freelance writer for a bit more than a year now. And while I do think that changing a location every once in a while can be a good solution, I've come to realize the importance of a routine which in my case usually means, the same desk, a cup of coffee, two notebooks, and a special kind of music. But it's nice to know that you can always go to the coffee shop, or a bookstore, just to mix things up a little.
Good point! I think the ideal is somewhere in between: a set routine with a variation in pattern.
To specify, I push myself to go to cafes and libraries to mix it up, but I have one go-to cafe with "my seat" in the corner and one secluded table at the library I always sit at. I think the importance of having a different venue for your work is to avoid the cabin fever of home (and the easy spiral into laziness that some of us may fall into).

shelbyk

These responses are awesome!! Some of the main things that help me are always getting up early- my schedule is completely at my discretion, so technically speaking I could sleep in until noon every day and just work until 8/9 at night. My morning routine has been immensely helpful for me- I get up early (7/7:30/8 at the latest) and do my skincare routine, get dressed (I don’t need to wear anything fancy, but I still make it a habit to change out of my PJs and put on a different outfit than the day before. Even though I still work in lounge clothes, it does help!). Then I take the dog out. This all helps me get ready for the day. Since I tend to get hyper focused when I’m at home sitting in front of my computer, I like to take a few hours’ break in the middle of the day. Not being in an office eliminates a lot of distractions, and personally I don’t feel healthy if I sit down for 8 hours straight in front of my computer (which I could do!). I get up, make lunch, take the dog for a walk, read for a little bit, clean my apartment, anything to mix things up.

Those are two things that really help me personally, along with some you guys have already mentioned- I’m looking forward to testing out some of the other suggestions!

A_Albe

I just started having work from home days, so all these tips are great help! I have also found that setting up my work space on the breakfast bar and then alternating standing and sitting in regular amounts also helps with focus and comfort.

DanRoz

Oh - one slight addition I want to make:

Nobody's really touched on the notion of working with other people yet. Considering how common working from home is becoming (I mean - look at all of us!), it's not unreasonable to imagine that you know someone with a similarly flexible schedule.
I have one friend with whom I like to sit and work with quite often. We have a great dynamic where a) we push each other to start working early in the morning, b) we mutually encourage one another to be productive, and c) we can let off the occasional steam with a conversation or lunch break.

Personally, having that one extra source of accountability (and companionship!) goes a long way for my work success!

What websites do you use? I find that branching out onto different sites and platforms lets you access a lot more potential clients. This can also sometimes lead to repeat-hire which is always good, personally my tip is to branch out to as many platforms as you can

Ssandra

Oh - one slight addition I want to make:

Nobody's really touched on the notion of working with other people yet. Considering how common working from home is becoming (I mean - look at all of us!), it's not unreasonable to imagine that you know someone with a similarly flexible schedule.
I have one friend with whom I like to sit and work with quite often. We have a great dynamic where a) we push each other to start working early in the morning, b) we mutually encourage one another to be productive, and c) we can let off the occasional steam with a conversation or lunch break.

Personally, having that one extra source of accountability (and companionship!) goes a long way for my work success!
My current partner and I do this. He is currently in between jobs and has a few jobs he does freelance, and I write. So he comes over, we spend time together and work. It's lovely and it helps indeed not to slack off with work.

Nick Torn

I think that working at home is quite difficult. I have been working this way for about a year, but my work until recently was completely organized because of the employer's conditions.

But lately I need to do it all myself and it's even harder. I think that the main thing is to determine what things you need to do and make them at the beginning of the day when you have a lot of energy.

After that, it will be best to use one place for work. For example, to allocate a room where you have a good table and work there only with work.

The best advice is to not postpone anything and always do everything on time.

Tiajanay

My current partner and I do this. He is currently in between jobs and has a few jobs he does freelance, and I write. So he comes over, we spend time together and work. It's lovely and it helps indeed not to slack off with work.
I also have a partner I work with. She and i have been taking on this freelance journey togeather and it really helps to keep me motivated and organized. We are even thinking about attempting a podcast

kmd06

I have been working from home for several years now, and I can say that there are some advantages and disadvatages.

Advantages:
Your Office Can Be Any Kind
Your Office Can Be Anywhere
You’ll Save Money
Your Schedule Can Be Your Own
You Can Learn More and Become More Independent
You Can Actually Have Enjoyable and Effective Meetings
You Can Stay More Focused
You Can Avoid Office Politics

Disadvantages:
Lack of community and differences in culture
Difficult or lacking communication
Low reliability and retention
Difficult to manage and maintain accountability
Issues with payment and logistics
Loss of productivity
Security concerns

Edzky_18

Oh this thread has been very helpful. Thanks for the insights! I'm on the process of weighing things and choosing between quiting my job and working from home with my 2 kids. Whew! It's really very difficult to decide!

Seeker Best

Working from home is the best. You can take good care of yourself and your children too. This will be a whole lot of benefits for the children but if one is not disciplined enough, working from home could amount to sleeping at home.

KatieC

I think something that can be helpful is ranking the tasks you have to finish from most important to least (this is usually based on due dates). I also find doing the “worst” or “least exciting” first is helpful. That way it is done and out of the way and then you can flow through the rest of your day.

Delia B

I have to agree with Edzky_18, this thread has been very helpful. I have been trying my hand at freelancing as well. I have to say I'm am thankful I have found this group and this thread, everyone here is so inspirational and helpful. You guys are all awesome!!! :)