What's new

What sports do you think are most brain intensive?

JohnK

I would say baseball - it requires a lot of focus, and being able to stay still and watch for long periods, and then being able to spring into action and make quick decisions all at once. You have to be on your toes, both physically and mentally.

Sflom

I am a JV volleyball coach and I would definitely say that volleyball is as much a mental sport as it is a physical sport. It requires a lot of verbal communication, reading body language, and knowing where your teammates are on the court. Also, you have to be able to read a situation quickly and determine a course of action within seconds.

Whenever my players get down mentally, it really starts to mess with their level of energy and their success on the court.

I would say ping pong aka table tennis. Players have to make decisions in the blink of an eye because of the pace of the game, there's no time to think twice. Its also physically very demanding and an excellent indoors game for office environments.

Akita

Most sports involve a lot of strategic plays. In my experience, American football requires the most strategy out of all traditional physical sports.

ldlittle

I like some of the flow arts, such as hoop dance and poi that incorporate both sides of the body and really challenge the mind and body!

GermanBd

I would say ping pong aka table tennis. Players have to make decisions in the blink of an eye because of the pace of the game, there's no time to think twice. Its also physically very demanding and an excellent indoors game for office environments.
I am fully agreed. I am not saying that other games are not brained intensive but table tennis is the most I think. From my experience, military personnel all over the world play this game officially and daily.

Captain Obvious

Basketball should be right up there. You need to be fit, strong and fast to not only defend but attack and know where your teammates are and also know where your opposition players. To add to that, keep your mind on the job whilst the audience screams their heads off!

mhess

Tennis to me is very mentally challenging. Being able to coordinate my movements with the other on my team, landing the ball in the correct field, and knowing exactly which divot in my racquet makes for the best hold for my strike keeps me on my (metaphorical and literal) toes!

GermanBd

Basketball should be right up there. You need to be fit, strong and fast to not only defend but attack and know where your teammates are and also know where your opposition players. To add to that, keep your mind on the job whilst the audience screams their heads off!
Yes, Basketball is definitely challenging but there is a standard hight issue for the players to play well and perfectly. In table tennis, there is no such issue you know and everybody can play it easily :)

I think tennis is one such sport. After all, tennis players are on their own while on the court, along with their thoughts, strategies, and fears. And I think that's pretty much what sets great players apart from good ones.

Funny how everyone believes their sport to be the one. I remember wresting -high school and college- as being physically and mentally demanding. There are so many holds and moves both defensive and offensive. To be a good wrestler you need to be physically strong for your weight class, flexible, have good stamina, AND have a fast memory to act/react in the wrestling moment.

Second would be football ,Even though in most teams, the plays are called in by the coaches, each play is a choreographed effort of all the players on the field. Most team's playbooks are a thick binder and you can't just know your moves, but have to know the corresponding players. You need a good memory. Then, in the actual game, you need to read the field if the play doesn't go as planned and react with a plan B or in the moment. It's very much a mental as well as physical game.