What's new
  • We're looking for Forum Moderator has the responsibility to regularly take care of the spam, pending, and modlook queues. Contact us.
    Regards,
    Team Neuroskillz

What do you listen to when you write?

YouTube Auto Play is my friend. Because that's how I discovered songs that I am now addicted to. Not only do I listen to them while I write, but they are also the huge part of my everyday life. I've become emotionally attached to some of them as they remind me of the times when I felt most inspired. And even if I am not inspired at the moment these songs are able to make things a little bit easier. I am talking about the deep house genre, with little or no words, but with strong, inspiring beats.

sunshinegal

For me, my best writing comes when I am not focusing on other words. I listen to a lot of classical music like Moonlight Sonata (which is doubly calming and great for focus when paired with a YouTube recording of rain). You can find multi-hour recordings on YouTube. If I am really familiar with a song with lyrics, I can listen and not be distracted, but I tend to avoid that.

nature_boy

I'm like katz91. If I'm listening to music when I write, it can't have any words or I'll get distracted. Classical will work. I've found freestyle jazz to be helpful too. John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis etc... Anything upbeat and free flowing.

I have the concentration span of a goldfish :p i cant multitask to save my life. If i am writing, i need to absolutely concentrate on what i am writing about. Listening to music would be a distraction for me irrespective of the genre.

Cleverviolet

I’m the same as you, thinkerriz! I sometimes try to put on a calming soundtrack from YouTube or even have a boring show on Netflix in the background. But I’m only productive when I’m just focused on the work. Other sounds are too distracting.

My usual is true jazz -since it has a drum beat- but not trumpet based. But since I don't understand jazz, it's a good backdrop. I liken it to traveling in Thailand, you're not distracted by the signage or conversations because you can't understand it, but it's good company to your thoughts.

Ecoleman24

I need stuff without words when I write, so usually I just put on youtube and google "songs to write to". Sometimes classic, sometimes electronic, it depends on my mood that day.

That said, I often just listen to nothing as well. I enjoy the silence and don't mind not having background noise all the time.
I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one that needs music without words when they write. I can't seem to pull myself out of the lyrics enough to focus and key my thoughts if I'm listening to something that has lyrics... especially something I know well... I'll end up singing along even if it's only in my head

JTiara23

I listen to soft music, i really like to hear the melodies of love songs and slow songs, and this helps me greatly when writing.