What's new

What do you listen to when you write?

Seeker Best

Hello guys,
I know that what works for us is different. But I would just like to know what works for you as a writer. While writing, what genre of song do you listen to?

Personally, I don't mind listening to songs while writing, the most I need is my solitude, silence, and inspiration with other necessary materials but I don't mind listening to some 'country' too.

Ssandra

I need stuff without words when I write, so usually I just put on youtube and google "songs to write to". Sometimes classic, sometimes electronic, it depends on my mood that day.

That said, I often just listen to nothing as well. I enjoy the silence and don't mind not having background noise all the time.

DMooers

I usually have to listen to music that I am very familiar with when I write. If I ever put on a new song or album while writing I find myself getting caught listening more than working! With that being said, I listen to a lot of Bon Iver and other slow types of music when I need to get "in the zone."

eman12771

I listen to an EDM radio when I write. The songs they play really but me in the writing mood and I can hammer out a lot of quality content. It also helps that they don't have many ads and I like 90% of the songs the play. If it's late at night and I'm in a "soft" mood, I like to search for meditation/relaxing music on YouTube.

ALGrace656

I switch between classical soundtracks to ghibli movies, electroswing, and celtic folksong. but thats because my music taste is a little off kilter to start with. I usually prefer anything that provides good vibes or a mellow mood but isn't so obtrusive that i get distracted

1akhand2

New songs can be really disturbing while writing. You can neither do the work nor enjoy the music completely. So I prefer to not listen to music while I am writing. However, if its noisy outside, I put on some of my favorite tracks with slow music or some songs with great music but with lesser words. It helps in avoiding disturbances due to background noise.

AllisonE

I usually just look up something like "study music" on youtube. I definitely can't listen to music with words when I'm writing, it distracts me too much. I like simple instrumentals or nature sounds as well. Though I'm working right now and not listening to anything. But now that I'm aware of it, I'm gonna turn something on! haha

chocory

I have a fishtank on my table, so I enjoy listening to the sound of running water from the filter (or http://rainymood.com). It's therapeutic and relaxing, and doesn't interfere with my thought process. Other times, I like to listen to music that fits the mood of what I'm writing—for example, if I'm writing a short period fiction piece, I tend to listen to songs from that particular period. Also, Ghibli soundtracks are great!

Last edited:

EJDarnell

Opera and Melodic music.

I don't usually have anything come to mind, I pick and song and allow you tube to continue.

JohnK

I tend to listen to podcasts when I write. Music can be distracting, and Netflix is always too much, but podcasts can be inspirational and easily ignored. Try it out!

JessicaW

The music I listen to depends on the writing I'm doing. I use music to set my mental headspace. Unless the occasion calls for it, usually songs without lyrics or lyrics in a language I cannot readily translate are my default. I have a station I've curated called "Jazz of the World" that is often my go-to. I will also use ambient or meditative music if inspiration fails me. Classical works as long as I don't try to analyze it in my head.

Uncle Dil

Hello guys,
I know that what works for us is different. But I would just like to know what works for you as a writer. While writing, what genre of song do you listen to?

Personally, I don't mind listening to songs while writing, the most I need is my solitude, silence, and inspiration with other necessary materials but I don't mind listening to some 'country' too.

I like to listen to a youtube channel called "Theorist". They do a lot of piano songs of modern music (Bieber etc.). Either that or Beethoven seems to work well for me. I prefer the instrumentals rather than music with words as it is easy to end up listening to the words rather than writing. Good thoughts everyone!

Paty100

I don't write often, but whenever am faced with doing a task that needs my concentration, what I listen is music am familiar with, that has a clear lyrics. Music that I won't even know am listening to, but I must like very much and won't get bored of listening to it.

mhess

I love to listen to video game soundtracks when I work. Skyrim, Halo, etc. are designed with concentration in mind, so I find it particularly useful to help me home in on my writing.

Daedalus

I'm with many others on here. Its gotta be something without words.

I'm not much of a guitar guy, but I do like the Peaceful Guitar playlist on Spotify. A nice, consistant tone that I can easily ignore back to white noise when I dont need it.

If I'm doing non-fiction. If I'm doing fiction, I need something that fits the scene, usually with no lyrics.

Bryan411

When I write I usually listen to classical music, but I agree with many of the comments here. I cannot listen to any music with words because they distract me. If I had a choice I would listen to classical piano music without the lyrics.

Human8

Stuff without vocals, as spoken language distracts and slows me. Video game music, sounds of nature, alpha wave stuff, or just an oven or box fan so I don't hear others speaking. Earplugs and/or covers help but of course can get too boring/lead to too stale or unstimulated of a brain after awhile.

meganmt

I have to listen to either classical music or nothing at all when I write. Attention deficit runs in my family and while I myself don't typically experience too many symptoms, my lack of focus when there's music with words while writing is certainly one of them. It feels like there's a train going by in my head when I try to listen to certain music while writing! Then there's the issue of, some classical songs I love so much that I can't focus on anything when I listen to them! Disadvantages of being a music lover lol

kkraus

I usually listen to music without words, because my favorite songs are very distracting and I usually want to sing along!

katz91

I generally like silence, but if I am listening to something, it has to not have words. So, classical is generally my genre of choice. I love some Bach!