What's new

What do you do when upset?

JTiara23

When you get upset, or angry, what is it that you do to make yourself feel better? I write poems, or sing and listen to music, or sometimes i just lay alone in the dark. Any suggestions?

neoninfinity

I think that's an interesting question. I'm trying to think of better ways to deal with stress, so I'd love to hear other people's ideas. Right now, my main strategy is to just take a walk or do some exercise on the treadmill to release the tension. But, I would love to hear other ideas.

JTiara23

I take a long, hot bath, I am an avid book reader, so I do a lot reading and listening to music. I also write poems and short stories to better express my feelings, or when I am very upset, I get a 6piece from Wendy's and a vanilla shake. This helps because I love their shakes. And sometimes a little sweetness will help you deal with the bitterness in life that you get sometimes

r.nuno29

Before, when I got upset about something I would keep my feelings bottled up inside of me. Then, there came a point when it all became too much and I would take my anger out on the people around me. Many times, I would hurt the feelings of those I loved most. I learned the hard way that the best way to deal with hurt, stress, or being upset is by understanding why you are upset and then taking action. For example, perhaps my boyfriend made a comment that upset me. He may have said this unwillingly, but because I did not take action in that moment, I kept this hurt inside of me.

Now, whenever I get upset I talk to the person who upset me. If my boyfriend says something that upsets me I will let him know and we talk about it. If I'm mad with myself I will take a bath and listen to some soothing music. I've learned that venting and talking with someone about the things that upset me, work best to handle these unpleasant and uncomfortable situations.

ckang96

I remember learning that one of the things that you should advise someone to do after some traumatic event is to simply do what they normally would do to relax. That was proven to better reduce the risk of PTSD than forcing them to talk through it right afterwards or making them follow some other generalized process.

I know you're probably asking about less serious situations. I think it would be very beneficial to try out various different methods to help overcome stress, especially if your current ones aren't working as they should. However, I feel like this is also something you could keep in mind, just in case.

As for me, I like to sleep when I'm upset or just hang out with my friends.

JTiara23

Thank you, I am definitely a fan of sleep I love to sleep! I actually do suffer from PTSD, and sometimes I find myself having a horrific panic or anxiety attack, and sometimes I have no idea of how to calm myself down. The normal thing that I do to relax is take a long, hot bath with candles lit and I will listen to soft music until my skin is pruned. Then I run the hot water again. I can just sit alone in the dark and think about whatever is bothering me and I just think about I can do to solve the solution.