What's new

Welcome to the Screens Versus Skies Era

Lei Mercado

You know what's sad about this generation? We choose to look at the skies within the screens of our gadgets over the actual creation.

Months back, I was deeply engrossed with my school works, when my mom called me from the rooftop. It was already night time, and I am nearing my deadline. I was unwilling to be disturbed, but she insisted and told me it was important. What could be more important than my work on this screen? But instead of wrestling with my mom's constant request, I decided to take a few minutes off and slid away from my chair and climbed to the rooftop.

You must have guessed it right. She was trying to show me the night sky.

Cool wind blanketed my face, and the priceless diamonds displayed their glory. I've forgotten all about this. I rarely go out. I rarely breathe. I allowed the screen to substitute the pleasure I get from this moment. Mom was right. This was something important. The few minutes it took me to go out gave me a sense of rest from my whole day's toil. As I got back to the screen, I was refreshed and ready to carry on.

Sometimes, all we need is that short moment to remind us that we are not robots, and our human bodies and brains are limited. Our Creator has gifted us with a free therapy, which can be experienced through the shape-shifting clouds and the deep dark skies. How about you, when was the last time you looked away from the screen, and looked up to the skies? :)

Last edited:

msimmonds913

It honestly is quite sad how much our generation spends looking at screens. I enjoy when my family goes to beach, sails, or travels in general because it gives me a chance to put away the phone and take in the world around me. From what I have experienced, our generation is so glued to our screens because it is how you connect with everyone now-a-days, which is honestly great because it's more efficient. But it's creating a terrible habit out of us where it feels unnatural if we don't have our phones on us at all times or can't check snapchat to maintain the streaks we have with our friends. Our generation constantly engrossed in a screen as become a natural state that the natural world around them has become unnatural to them.

Lei Mercado

It honestly is quite sad how much our generation spends looking at screens. I enjoy when my family goes to beach, sails, or travels in general because it gives me a chance to put away the phone and take in the world around me. From what I have experienced, our generation is so glued to our screens because it is how you connect with everyone now-a-days, which is honestly great because it's more efficient. But it's creating a terrible habit out of us where it feels unnatural if we don't have our phones on us at all times or can't check snapchat to maintain the streaks we have with our friends. Our generation constantly engrossed in a screen as become a natural state that the natural world around them has become unnatural to them.
Good thing you enjoy nature with your family, msimmonds913! I just miss the crisp of the children's laughter when they play outside. I just miss family dinners without the barriers of cellular phones. How i hope we would not pass on to the generations ahead the bad habits we developed in this tech-savvy world.

Genelle17

I really enjoyed this! Our generation spends way too much time just staring at our phone screens alllll day long. This is why I choose not to look at my phone the second I wake up and actually appreciate the morning instead, and I also limit my phone time when I'm outside, especially during the summer. Nature is so beautiful and we tend to lose that beauty by focusing on a screen instead. I like going for walks outside without my phone and really take in everything that is around me :)

Lei Mercado

I really enjoyed this! Our generation spends way too much time just staring at our phone screens alllll day long. This is why I choose not to look at my phone the second I wake up and actually appreciate the morning instead, and I also limit my phone time when I'm outside, especially during the summer. Nature is so beautiful and we tend to lose that beauty by focusing on a screen instead. I like going for walks outside without my phone and really take in everything that is around me :)
That's really cool, Genelle17! For me, it as riding my bicycle with my dog running behind me that i love! And I know it is healthier, too, compared to staying curled up on bed for a long time. I hope a lot from our generation would not miss these moments.

Last edited:

AllisonE

I bring my phone with me everywhere in case on emergency, but when I'm walking the dog or hiking I like to just keep it in my pocket and enjoy the outdoors. The same goes for when I am having fun with family (besides the occasional picture). Taking a break from screens feels great. But I do think the increased screen time nowadays is sometimes necessary because there is just so much stuff that we are expected to know and be caught up on.