What's new

Vegetarian to Vegan

lpvander

After watching a lot of different documentaries (Cowspiracy, Forks Over Knives), I was inspired to make a veganism lifestyle change. I started around April. However, I've noticed that I haven't been able to achieve 100% veganism. I can't seem to give up cheese (pizza, more specifically) just yet. Giving up meat has been surprisingly easy, though. So I'm considering myself at large, a vegetarian, who is working toward the goal of being a vegan.

It's hard to break a habit of a (literal) lifetime. So if anyone has any tips or advice on how they became a vegan or were able to break other kinds of patterns/routines?

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I practiced veganism for a month last year. I found that planning helped me. I used the highest rated vegan recipes on epicurious.com and followed some vegan youtube videos. When I had my week's meals planned out, it was easier not to get distracted.

Check out this interesting video too about the ideal diet for humans.

michalaw

Hello!
I have been trying to give up meat, and I have considered going vegan, but I love cheese so much! That is the only thing stopping me from being vegan. But I know a ton of people who are vegan and make it work! What they do is just explore all of he vegan cheese options, and find which ones taste the most similar to cheese.
I was able to cut out eating meat in my life by not having it in my refrigerator at all. If I wanted it, I would have to go out and buy it, which I eventually just got out of the habit of having it an not eating it. I would try that technique with cheese!

jamienoelle

So I literally just decided that I want to work on becoming vegan. I have been a vegetarian before and have done it for long periods of time with great success. For one reason or another, I have reverted to an omnivore diet. I have harnessed much greater control of my nutrition recently and finally feel like I am in a place that I could pursue a vegan lifestyle. I used to work for a company that makes vegan plant meat, they are called No Evil Foods and I highly recommend their product. It has an amazing texture and can be used in place of meat in almost any recipe!

marv226

I practiced veganism for a month last year. I found that planning helped me. I used the highest rated vegan recipes on epicurious.com and followed some vegan youtube videos. When I had my week's meals planned out, it was easier not to get distracted.

Check out this interesting video too about the ideal diet for humans.

Thank you for sharing this video. It was eye-opening. I have drastically cut my meat intake over the past few months in an attempt to move towards a vegetarian diet. I've been consuming, or trying to consume, a lot of protein and fewer carbs because I thought that's what I needed. Maybe not. I think I'll add some more whole grains and legumes to my diet and see how that works.

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello!
I have been trying to give up meat, and I have considered going vegan, but I love cheese so much! That is the only thing stopping me from being vegan. But I know a ton of people who are vegan and make it work! What they do is just explore all of he vegan cheese options, and find which ones taste the most similar to cheese.
I was able to cut out eating meat in my life by not having it in my refrigerator at all. If I wanted it, I would have to go out and buy it, which I eventually just got out of the habit of having it an not eating it. I would try that technique with cheese!
HI @michalaw
Yeah. I feel the same. And on top of that, cheese would be so much healthier for our gut bacteria if we had the raw milk cheeses like in France. I guess I'll just have to move to Normandy and become vegetarian instead. :)