What's new

Using Rubik's Cube as a Memory Enhancer

waldemar

As far as I can remember before when I was still in Highschool I was not really good in history classes and other subjects that requires memorization until I discovered this magical toy haha which works like a charm when it comes to training your memory. Because the only way you can solve it is to memorize the movements or what you call “algorithm” you have to memorize it in order for you to solve the cube and doing the movements repeatedly until you develop this muscle memory which makes your hand move each layer by itself without overthinking after mastering solving the Rubik’s cube I realized that it made me applied the skill I acquired in playing the Rubik’s cube on the subjects in school which requires memorization. You can learn solving the Rubik’s cube through Youtube it also available on other languages (which depends on the uploader of course) just choose your language whether English or not before I learned solving it by watching one of my fellow Filipino. I advice you to start solving with the traditional 3x3 first because it is a good start for learning. If you have other questions feel free to post.

Thanks,

A_wrenn

I've always had trouble with memory. Not so much memorizing facts and dates. In school, I always aced tests, but only retained the knowledge long enough to turn in the paper. My issue is more attention span and converting things in my short-term memory to long-term memory. Could a Rubics cube be used to help with this issue?... Asking for my wife.

waldemar

Hi I guess perhaps it can help in a way that you can train the part of your brain (memorization part) whenever you are memorizing algorithms on the rubiks cube it could probably sharpen and enhance your memorization skill however short attention span can be solve by being more focus and having some solid interest on what you are doing :) Good luck!

A_wrenn

Thanks. I agree that I do become more focused depending on the level of interest I have in the activity, but I feel like that isn't going to work all of the time. Unfortunately, we all have to "adult" and do things we don't like, but they are necessary and have to be done. I find that if I can combine activities that I do have an interest in with ones I don't it can help me focus on the task at hand. For instance, when I am at work, I often listen to podcasts on a topic that I find interesting or engaging. It helps pass the time and allows my mind to engage in a pleasurable activity while completing mundane tasks.

Perhaps combining this with the Rubiks cube would work both memorization AND focus. Might be worth experimenting with...

waldemar

Yes that is true @A_wrenn in short you must love what you are doing and embrace it, put it to your heart and practice it in that way you will not get bored on doing it and at the same time you will have the challenge and eventually learn from it. Good luck :)

M

magikheart

I always liked Soduku. I think it really focuses my brain and helps me to spend some time centering my mind to one task. In our hectic lives, it's nearly impossible to avoid having more than one stimuli vying for our attention at any given time. I think focusing your concentration can really help with memory as well.

WendyM

I use a few different strategies to help me with my short-term memory deficits due to Attention Deficit Disorder. For things I need everyday at home like keys, glasses, etc.,I put them in the same spot each time I use them. I recently placed a small tray on a table in my foyer— right next to the front door— to place things like mail or coupons I want to take with me the next time I leave the house. I’m also a fan of word associations, especially for remembering people’s names. For example, I work with two women who look very similar; their names are Ashley and Emily. Ashley’s hair is darker than Emily’s, so I think of the word “ash” when I see her and no longer call her Emily by mistake!

waldemar

Great inputs nice to hear some good thoughts regarding this thread. Anyone of you have tried big jigsaw puzzles? I guess they are effective too because you have to memorize the picture first before you dismantle it and try to solve it. Anyone have found great success on it in increasing their memorizing abilities?

Beth96

Great inputs nice to hear some good thoughts regarding this thread. Anyone of you have tried big jigsaw puzzles? I guess they are effective too because you have to memorize the picture first before you dismantle it and try to solve it. Anyone have found great success on it in increasing their memorizing abilities?
I've tried big jigsaw puzzles, but I end up getting frustrated if the pieces look too much alike. Something I've always found that's useful with memory is the game Simon Says where you have to memorize colors in the order given to you. They make handheld Simon Says devices, but there are free apps too, which are just as useful!

waldemar

Hi @Beth96 wow SimonSays seems to be a fun game I would love to try that added the fact that I love games that has something to do with colors like Rubik's cube definitely next on my bucket list :) Thanks