What's new

Upwork/Freelancing Websites

Human8

From the summer of 2008 until last year I'd been able to keep a mostly full-time schedule and earnings equivalent to a $35-40+k job working for freelancing and other websites. If you have a degree and/or writing, editing, programming, customer service, teaching, or design experience one can likely find at least something on the side for extra money without having to start an independent business or personal website. My child no longer needs daycare so I don't have to worry about that expense at least- maybe helpful for another's success if they're unaware of the substantial extent of work available online these days.

Polyacik

Congrats of the success! I'm definitely intrigued with the idea of freelancing on the side, especially for the child care benefit you mentioned. I'll be in school next year and my kids will need to be in child care, but I'd like to bring in some money to help offset the cost of school and child care. A typical part-time job is off the table since it'd likely mean night or weekend hours (when my kids would not be in daycare). You're able to bring in $40k with a 40-hour week? Do you see yourself being able to significantly increase that salary over time? do you find yourself worrying about the stability of this income? Just curious to know more about the life of a "freelancer," and whether or not it's something I could see myself doing as a parti-time gig for supplemental income.

Jerz0

From the summer of 2008 until last year I'd been able to keep a mostly full-time schedule and earnings equivalent to a $35-40+k job working for freelancing and other websites. If you have a degree and/or writing, editing, programming, customer service, teaching, or design experience one can likely find at least something on the side for extra money without having to start an independent business or personal website. My child no longer needs daycare so I don't have to worry about that expense at least- maybe helpful for another's success if they're unaware of the substantial extent of work available online these days.
This is great! Do you have any tips for someone just starting on Upwork and other content creating websites?

Master

This is great! Do you have any tips for someone just starting on Upwork and other content creating websites?
I'll give you a general career tip - Learn some Sales.

It'll help you sell yourself, your service, your product, anything.

It'll also help you understand market & business more clearly.

Lots of benefits to that! And all you need to do is read a few books really.

settinggoals321

Wow, congratulations on being so successful with freelancing! I have just taken up freelancing and am learning the ropes, so to speak. I am glad so many different opportunities are available to people who want to freelance. I feel like programs like Upwork are a wonderful idea and can be quite helpful to people who are struggling to look for work. Though, like many others, I worry about a steady income too. It is difficult to guarantee a steady income from freelancing alone. There are several who are lucky enough to rely on freelancing, but there are many who get money sporadically from freelancing, which can be a little risky. I think that freelancing can bring plenty of success, but it can certainly take time.