What's new

Tips on memorizing book details

mcad4

Hi everyone! I've been reading several books lately (nonfiction, psychology, everyday living) and I want to be able to recall at least the major themes and outline of them so I can share this information with friends. I'm the kind of person who struggles to read slowly, rather quickly trying to get to the end to see everything an author says, but then afterward losing motivation to go back through the text. And personality-wise, I find myself to be more big-picture; it's hard for me to remember specific details...

Does anyone have any particular practices they find helpful? Whether it be jotting notes (and if so, how?), reading repetitively or slowly, or recounting it to someone else?

Uncle Dil

Have you tried using flashcards? I think a lot of times people believe they know something, but when put on the spot to discuss it, they have difficulty expressing exactly what happened. I find flashcards to be very beneficial for spaced repetition. They're also kind of fun to go through and you really get a strong grasp of the topic when you are forced to state what is going on rather than passively reading it.