What's new

The word “hygge”

mhess

I love this word. It’s Danish (I believe? Correct me if I’m wrong) and has no direct English equivalent. It captures the feeling of the joy and coziness found in simple pleasures like buying old books or drinking a cup of tea. What’s your hygge?

bmcd16

I had no idea what this word meant before clicking on this post so thank you for teaching me something new! I guess I would say my hygge is the simple sound of silence. I like the feeling of no auditory distractions. Also, that feeling you get when you crack open a new book and breathe in extremely salty beach air - my two favorite things!

Captain Obvious

Listening to some really good acoustic guitar songs or chill music with a nice glass of red. Preferably when it is approximately 23-24 degrees (Celsius) in a nice comfy outdoor chair out the backyard in part sun/part shade and just enjoying watching nature. It's not silence but it's very relaxing and enjoyable.

hg93

Oooo love this! Definitely being outside, laying out on a park bench on a sunny day, reading a good book :)

SocialShelley

Fresh baked cookies, candles, and all that stuff in the snugly clothing magazines that you don't really believe people wear (but they do!), and those giant blankets that are knitted with their hands.

khop83

Taking a nap on a lazy Sunday afternoon! Man, there is nothing better than taking a nap and knowing that you don't have to be up at a certain time, or be anywhere. Bonus if it's raining outside and I can fall asleep to the sound of the rain,

nhenrick

Eating a bowl of cereal right before bed. This simple (not the healthiest) snack in addition to some funny Youtube videos is my key to a day ended right. In addition, riding in the car with the windows down listening to my favorite music on a sunny day gets the spirits high and is truly a mood booster.