What's new

Teaching English Online

DMooers

I was just hired to teach English online to young Chinese students. Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to teach young children a second language?

Katie2100

Use lots of visuals. Pictures, videos, things that kids can relate to. Also if you can write short English stories with pictures and have them read it that would probably be a good way to give your students a head start. Good luck!

Captain Obvious

I was just hired to teach English online to young Chinese students. Does anyone have any tips on the best ways to teach young children a second language?
I'm a qualified TESOL teacher. So, is my wife and my daughter. I found this type of work quite difficult. Yes, the pay seems to be quite good for a native English speaker. But, the amount of preparation required is never thought of until you start preparing for each lesson.

There is a lot of online information to help you with how best to teach Chinese students.

ethanez

I am very interested in doing online tutoring! What platform are you going to be using? I've heard of Vipkid, but do not really know of any alternatives! I think that teaching online will provide me with a lot more flexibility and freedom, and it can be done from anywhere.

ALGrace656

How did you get started in this? It was a career option I had considered but kept running into walls with those claiming to be educational systems but turned out to be scams and wanted money from me first.

BlueEdge

Are you doing it full time or part time? I've played with the idea of signing up for VipKid but am a bit nervous of teaching over such a big distance. Keep us posted on how it turns out for you!

SocialShelley

I did an interview for a similar position. How is it going? I found it difficult not to talk over their heads in the demo class I did. I often found I had to talk about 6th and 7th grade material with a 2nd grade vocabulary.

shrills

I feel like being yourself is a big part in engaging with other people?
Unsure as I haven't specifically invested time into this sort of job.

I've always been interested in this, but my social anxiety boils over as I wouldn't know the first thing about teaching anyone despite being a native speaker.

How is it going for you? Open to any insight on the gig.

SteedBonnet

Keep it fun! Kids respond to very active, animated people. I would suggest learning aids that are colorful, stimulating, and age-appropriate. If a child is not entertained, he or she will quickly lose interest.