What's new

Starting your own Business Venture instead of Working for Someone Else

waldemar

Hi I would like to survey out of how many are you here who quit their jobs and started their own business who took the risk and became successful on it and on the other side who failed and just look for a job again and work for someone else? I am hoping to receive great inputs about this topic because many people are afraid to start their own ventures because of fear of failure and I hope we can learn something from your experiences and avoid the failures that you have had while starting. Thanks!

Ssandra

I've not had a job in over 8 years or so. Sometimes I've been doing "nothing" (stay at home mom, taking care of household and kid) and other times I've been involved in businesses of my own.

The main reason I don't have a regular job is because there are no part time jobs here that pay enough to make it worth my while, and full time jobs mean I have to put my daughter in day care which means spending my entire salary on that... I don't see the point.

waldemar

I've not had a job in over 8 years or so. Sometimes I've been doing "nothing" (stay at home mom, taking care of household and kid) and other times I've been involved in businesses of my own.

The main reason I don't have a regular job is because there are no part time jobs here that pay enough to make it worth my while, and full time jobs mean I have to put my daughter in day care which means spending my entire salary on that... I don't see the point.
Ah I see I think the only one that will make a profit is the day care center hahaha while on the other hand you are tired of working full time I think that is a legit reason not to have a full time job. Have you tried other methods like doing online job or direct selling?

Ssandra

Ah I see I think the only one that will make a profit is the day care center hahaha while on the other hand you are tired of working full time I think that is a legit reason not to have a full time job. Have you tried other methods like doing online job or direct selling?
I am now working online, and before I have done other businesses. Direct selling for me is the quickest way to get burned out :) I am not really a people person if I have to talk to them in real life... I can do it, but I really don't like it.

Right now I am restarting my career as a freelance writing and I'm doing pretty good and getting better. And, most importantly, I like what I am doing so I don't get burned out soon on it.

As for a little background, I used to be married and my ex made enough money to support us both. The relationship was not healthy at all, which is why my mental health would not allow for a lot of success in my own business ventures or finding jobs etc. I let him decide too much of my life, but I'm getting back on my feet now.

waldemar

I am now working online, and before I have done other businesses. Direct selling for me is the quickest way to get burned out :) I am not really a people person if I have to talk to them in real life... I can do it, but I really don't like it.

Right now I am restarting my career as a freelance writing and I'm doing pretty good and getting better. And, most importantly, I like what I am doing so I don't get burned out soon on it.

As for a little background, I used to be married and my ex made enough money to support us both. The relationship was not healthy at all, which is why my mental health would not allow for a lot of success in my own business ventures or finding jobs etc. I let him decide too much of my life, but I'm getting back on my feet now.
Good to hear that you are doing good life is tough you just have to get used to it and use it to your advantage. Yes doing online writing jobs is a great alternative of the traditional way of going to the office and work several hours in front of the computer and the environment is a lot stressful working with your boss and toxic officemates luckily for me I have a nice boss before and a nice set of officemates which are my friends however working at home is a lot more convenient because it will save you money on travel and time allotted on going to the office. By the way from what country are you? Good luck :)

OlgaC

I

After I got my first child I realised that I cannot go back to 9 to 5 jobs mostly because I don't want to leave her in the day care. She is too young to be left with other people.
Before I thought I would always work for a company or another person, but now I need more freedom to decide when and where I want to work.
My husband started his own business last year. Frankly I did not support him 100% in the beginning, but now that it's going well, and I see how much freedom it gives him, I am so happy that he did it.
I also would like to work as freelancer. It would give me a possibility to spend more time with my child.

When I finished college two years ago, I worked a 9-5 job and didn't like it at all. I felt so average, while my dreams were buried in the countless hours of not doing anything creative. So after a few months, I decided to quit that job and to pursue my own dreams, a family business was also an option, but instead of doing that, I decided to try to write online, which turned out pretty well for me, at least for now.

patrick.suchon

Well, I did not quit my job yet but I am doing an project on the side. Me and my cousin are doing an fashion app for classical mens fashion to help them with choosing the right attire - sometimes combining the right socks, tie and shirt might be tricky or when you want to try out something its sometimes easier to just open your phone that to put all the clothes on. Check out (it's still just a design) !
outfitscreen_instagram.png
You can find more on https://www.instagram.com/sprezzapp/