What's new

Starting the day with good habits

A_Albe

We all know that the things we do first thing in the morning are what set the tone for our day. When I am trying to build healthy habits and get into a positive routine, I find that doing one small thing can start me on the path for a better day. Right now, I start the morning with a short journal exercise – 1 goal for the day and 2 actions of self-care. How do you start your day? What habits make a difference for you?

AllisonE

I get ready for the day as soon as I get up, even if I'm staying home, because I feel more lazy if I stay in pajamas. I also do easy tasks like laundry and dishes in the morning so I don't have to do them later and have more time for more difficult tasks in the afternoon.

Very well said! One trick I try to do is to think of something really positive and hold on to it throughout my morning routine, i.e. thinking about it during breakfast, in the shower, and on my way to work. Just something simple that I'm looking forward to, or maybe something "big" and special that I can really point to and remind myself why I'm working and what I'm working towards!

A_Albe

I get ready for the day as soon as I get up, even if I'm staying home, because I feel more lazy if I stay in pajamas. I also do easy tasks like laundry and dishes in the morning so I don't have to do them later and have more time for more difficult tasks in the afternoon.
Yes, especially since I work remote part of the week, on those days I also make sure I am dressed to go outside. Sometimes it feels like just what I wear can put me in a more productive mindset! I like how you 'clear the deck' of easy tasks firsts so you have more time to dedicate to the difficult ones in the afternoon! I may try that with my dishes today

A_Albe

Very well said! One trick I try to do is to think of something really positive and hold on to it throughout my morning routine, i.e. thinking about it during breakfast, in the shower, and on my way to work. Just something simple that I'm looking forward to, or maybe something "big" and special that I can really point to and remind myself why I'm working and what I'm working towards!
I like that! To me it feels like a mental meditation of what I do in my journal, ground myself in my own goals and actions to keep myself energized for the journey. I am not the best at meditation, so I was wondering how you keep that thought constant and focused on it through all those tasks? Would appreciate any tips!

I like that! To me it feels like a mental meditation of what I do in my journal, ground myself in my own goals and actions to keep myself energized for the journey. I am not the best at meditation, so I was wondering how you keep that thought constant and focused on it through all those tasks? Would appreciate any tips!
Of course, and thank you! Let's see, well, even though they say you shouldn't wish your life away, I do tend to count down towards the weekend when it gets to Wednesday or so. "Just two more days!" for example. I try to think of new components of what is on my mind, for example recently I have been thinking about vacation ideas and so I'll spend some time looking at online brochures and such and think about all the places I would like to go and how I would like to plan it. If you practice this enough it gets addicting for all the right reasons, as most people would love to have something special or golden to hang on to when they awake in the morning. It's very easy, as showering and breakfast and teeth brushing are pretty ordinary things that you can do in your sleep! You make a great point about the meditating. I would add that doing this really is like meditating as it is removing you from the stress or even just the ordinary aspects of the day, and it takes you someplace exciting, which is absolutely invigorating and enlightening!