What's new

Setting goals and not getting discouraged

annelill

I’m at an exciting time in my life for goal setting. I’m an artist and just opened an Etsy store, so I’m at the very beginning of what I hope will be a very exciting journey! That being said, making art is very personal and it can be easy to get discouraged along the way. Does anyone have tips for not letting the small setbacks or slow progress get to you?

Genelle17

Just remember that setbacks are all a part of the journey! Nothing in life is linear, so we cant expect it to be that way just because we want to achieve something! We have to accept the setbacks and figure out what exactly we can learn from them instead of letting them discourage us. I would say my advice is to have tunnel vision. No matter what, keep your end goal in mind and know that if you focus on that, nothing can get in your way

What i want to know is how does one deal with a major setback towards attaining life's objectives? What if the magnitude of the setback is insurmountable? how does one stay motivated while facing such overwhelming odds?

BlueEdge

What i want to know is how does one deal with a major setback towards attaining life's objectives? What if the magnitude of the setback is insurmountable? how does one stay motivated while facing such overwhelming odds?
I think in those cases you really need to sit yourself down and revisit the goals you started out with. The whole reason you started the adventure was because you wanted to achieve something and you knew that major setbacks were a possibility. So when a major setback happens, revisit the beginning
and see if you still have that desire and drive to achieve what you wanted when you started out. Also, adjusting your goals might be a good idea as well.

tploeger

Remember that everything happens for a reason and you can't let the small stuff get to you. Just let it roll off your back like water on a duck and keep your goals in sight. Everything else will fall into place

Master

Hey there my fellow artist!

The part of an artist is always a hard one [:

Set your goals slowly and progress towards them.

Measure your success not in results, but in what you've achieved so far. Keep pumping out content and don't stop just because it's not yet blowing up. Additionally, keep adding up new methods to improve your work from time to time, don't just bang your head doing the same thing over and over.

If you have any struggles, feel free to PM me. I'm an artist myself (writer) and I've been through a lot so I'm sure I can help you.

Cheers!