What's new

Relationship Advice

JTiara23

I am having an issue with my relationship. I and my significant other have been having issues with communication and intimacy. I feel unattractive to him, and I have expressed that due to the lack of affection and attention that this is why I feel this way. Of course, when I express this, he brings up an issue he might have had with me that he never talked to me about. This makes me feel that he is attempting to manipulate the situation to his advantage, and is not understanding of my feelings. I also notice that we always discuss his issues, and if I do not offer help to him he feels that I do not care about the situation, but when I need assistance, he is not able to offer me anything. I feel at this point the relationship is one sided and I am not sure if I am seeing clearer now because we are no longer in the honeymoon stage and he has always been this way, or that maybe he has fallen upon hard times and is just going through something. But I am seeing that he always has an issue, and I do not feel that I am emotionally equipped to deal with what he has going on. Does anyone have any idea what I can do so that we can get back to where we were?

howremarkable

I imagine this question isn't very helpful, but have you tried talking to him directly about communication and intimacy? Sometimes that's the hardest hurdle, saying "there's something wrong". But when something's wrong, it needs fixing.

Try explaining your concerns to him. If there's a chance he might interrupt before you're finished, then send a text. Just remember to be kind, and don't come across like you're blaming him for the problems in the relationship. There may be some things he's dealing with that he just isn't ready to talk about.

If you're both truly invested in this relationship, things will improve with proper communication.

Just know your limit.

JTiara23

Thank you, I really appreciate the response, and I must admit that I have not looked at it in that way. I do not think he would interrupt me, as I have expressed that I would really like to speak to with him in person rather than text. I am going to take your advise into consideration and put it to good use.

Kjohns98

I believe you should express your feelings to him. But I would also be mindful of the fact that affection withdrawal can be an indicator of cheating.