What's new

Problems with sleep schedule

Beth96

I've been having this problem for over a month now where I go to sleep at a decent hour (maybe around 11:00 p.m.), but I can't stay asleep. It's easy for me to fall asleep, but I consistently wake up between 3 and 4 a.m. Sometimes I am able to fall back asleep hours later, and other times, I don't fall back asleep at all. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can get more sleep?

WendyM

Hi! I read a lot of health-related articles (from reliable sources like Prevention Magazine and the Mayo Clinic) and those on sleep disorders usually suggest the following tips: try not to consume any caffeinated beverages after 12:00 p.m.; if you exercise, do so in the morning rather than the evening; make your bedroom as dark as possible; turn off your phone and other electronic devices one hour before you go to bed; avoid falling asleep in front of the television; take a hot bath before climbing into bed. I've also read (and have done this myself) that when you wake up in the middle of the night and can't fall back to sleep, get out of bed and do something that relaxes you rather than toss and turn and stare at the clock. This website -- https://sleepfoundation.org/ -- might be of help to you. Good luck!

Ssandra

What helps for me when I have those issues is to make sure I eat a good dinner, plenty of healthy fats and protein. I know most advice is the other way around, but that is what works for me...

Chris Jeff

Good sleep hygiene can have a tremendous impact upon your getting better sleep. You should wake-up feeling refreshed and alert,
here are some sleep hygiene tips to help you relax, fall asleep, stay asleep, and get better sleep so that you wake up refreshed and alert.
You can avoid watching TV, eating, and discussing emotional issues in bed, try to minimize noise, light, and temperature extremes during sleep with ear plugs, window blinds, or an electric blanket or air conditioner, a light snack is also sleep-inducing, but a heavy meal too close to bedtime interferes with sleep, you can also have a warm bath before bed, it'll help you to sleep better.

Beth96

Thanks for the advice! These are really helpful. It sounds obvious to get up and do something when you can't sleep, but I never actually thought that would be a good idea. I was always worried that would make it more difficult for me to fall asleep.

John S

I have sleep issues because of my career. I do not have much to offer in the way of solving these issues since the things that help me a bit are not nearly as good as what I read above. So I will try some of these and see if I can get more rest. I do find it interesting however that when I finally get to sleep at say around 6am after being wide awake since 4am, that the last hour or two from 6 to whatever always feels like 5 hours of sleep. Excellent topic. Thank you!