What's new

Past Lives

M

magikheart

So often, we hear of people with fantastic stories of remembering past lives. I'm really torn on whether I believe in it or not. I know that there are times that I feel an extreme kinship to a certain place or era. For instance, there are so many people who consider themselves Egyptophiles, lover of all things Ancient Egypt. Is this just interest, or could there be something more? I've heard hypnotism can bring out past life memories, but I, personally, have never done anything like that. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Do you think there is actually merit to past lives?

JonQuinnHubble

I think the glory of this question is the fact that we will probably never know. Even if the concept of reincarnation is true, the way we currently perceive it does not allow us to remember things from a past life. While most people would be happy about the fact of never truly ceasing to exist, I don't know if we would ever get the chance to bask in the realization that it is true. Very interesting to think about!

lashley101

So often, we hear of people with fantastic stories of remembering past lives. I'm really torn on whether I believe in it or not. I know that there are times that I feel an extreme kinship to a certain place or era. For instance, there are so many people who consider themselves Egyptophiles, lover of all things Ancient Egypt. Is this just interest, or could there be something more? I've heard hypnotism can bring out past life memories, but I, personally, have never done anything like that. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Do you think there is actually merit to past lives?
Hi Magikheart,

I found your thread and its topic to be really interesting. I've seen videos of little kids remembering in perfect detail of past lives they have lived (like fighting in wars). What is weird and cool all at the same time is that these people can remember with pinpoint detail things about their alleged past life in a way that would have been impossible for them to have researched or guessed at. That is what I find really interesting and makes me wonder whether the concept of reincarnation is true or not. Most of us, though, obviously cannot remember whether we've lived other lives. Assuming reincarnation is true, sometimes I wonder whether this is so because our creator decided that it is more important for us to dwell on our present and future selves rather than who we once were. Idk. Just food for thought.

BrigS

It's certainly an interesting topic, and I don't think anyone can be faulted for believing or not believing in it. It is fascinating, as the previous writer suggests, that it seems like small children and the elderly seem to remember past lives the most-- in other words, at the ages that we are closest to the "veil" so to speak anyway. Personally, I see our minds as computers of some kind, downloading information from the Universe, and sometimes I think people simply download the wrong information, someone else's life, etc. The incredible detail in the stories some children can tell is amazing.

JBee

If this is true, do you all believe that we could have only been humans in a past life? Or could we have been another creature? Has there been any interviews or recordings of children or the elderly remembering their past life as animal? (just curious) I know a little bit about reincarnation - I had to take a course during undergrad about different religions and we touched on Buddhism. I remember learning that through reincarnation a soul, spirit, or conscious can be reborn in a state of another being such as an animal.

My culture/religion does not particularly believe in having a past life or reincarnation, however, there's a certain saying that is always said when talking about our children that seem extremely mature for their age. "He (or she) has been here before." LOL. I think it's odd that this phrase is used so frequently considering reincarnation is not believed in.