What's new

New Roomies in a Relationship

natjacobsmeier

My boyfriend and I have been together for the past 5 years, lived together (with his two roommates) for one of those summers and currently just moved to a new country together! We don't rush anything, rather just let things play out and take them as they come. I will say that we have been excited to finally live together after 4 years of long distance through college. With that being said, it is a great opportunity for us to create a stronger relationship & build a life we'd like to eventually have. I can't help but have the thought of complacency in the back of my mind though. What I don't want is our routine to become so monotonous to where we have nothing to talk about over dinner. Don't think I'm crazy though-I know silence is a great thing. I've heard that those you can sit in silence with are those very special people in your life. :giggle: We have unofficially, officially agreed to try something new each week. Whether that be a restaurant, getting groceries at a new store, an activity, visiting a historical site, etc.

Any tips for keeping our relationship fresh with being in a completely new country and roommates!?

jamienoelle

Hi there @natjacobsmeier I think that your dedication to trying something new each week is a really great idea! Becoming complacent in your relationship is definitely something that a lot of couples deal with. The biggest piece of advice that I can put out there is to make sure that you are taking time for each other. Something that my partner and I do is have one date together a week. We, of course, are still eating dinner together every night, but we pick one night or weekend day and we just take a few hours to unplug and enjoy our time with one another. It doesn't have to be expensive, you really don't even have to leave the house, but you should take that time to be together and push out of your comfort zone, talk about things you might not normally talk about. I find that this has been really beneficial in our relationship and sometimes those special evenings together can help liven up the rest of the relationship.