What's new

more money more problems

shrills

I actually feel like success is a personal concept, different to everyone.
Conventionally, having money and a comfortable life = success, but that doesn't fulfill everyone.

What is your version of success?

S

sunshinegal

I agree that success depends a lot on the person pursuing it. That being said, there are some scientifically-backed common determinants of happy and long lives—things like having good relationships and feeling purpose in your work/how you spend your time. The potential downside of a personal definition of success is that it could potentially be too limiting—I might not know what lies out there if only I took the risk to apply for that job, go back to school, call that old friend, etc.

I actually feel like success is a personal concept, different to everyone.
Conventionally, having money and a comfortable life = success, but that doesn't fulfill everyone.

What is your version of success?
You are right everyone's definition of success is different but generally having more money than you need and leading a comfortable life is considered success. I've seen extremely rich folks being miserable and unhappy and i've seen financially troubled and shorthanded people happy. All depends on your perspective of what success and happiness is. LOL! i know this is inconclusive but perhaps this is how its meant to be

nhenrick

It is true that money does not always equal success, but it does make life a lot easier. There are many many people in life who have jobs that don't make them nearly the amount of money they want, but it nonetheless brings them happiness and joy, because they are doing what they want to do. Therefore, in their minds, they are successful in life. Like you might have imagined, success is completely self-determined and up to the individual. No one can define one's success but yourself.

khop83

It is true that money does not always equal success, but it does make life a lot easier..
Exactly. Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy relative security, and that's almost as good. I'd be a lot happier on a day-to-day basis if my debts were paid and my savings account had a six month cushion. I don't know that it would make me happy enough to go singing through the forest like a Disney princess, but I would at least be able to stop fretting so much every time a bill drops in my mailbox.

shrills

I agree that success depends a lot on the person pursuing it. That being said, there are some scientifically-backed common determinants of happy and long lives—things like having good relationships and feeling purpose in your work/how you spend your time. The potential downside of a personal definition of success is that it could potentially be too limiting—I might not know what lies out there if only I took the risk to apply for that job, go back to school, call that old friend, etc.
Taking risks is definitely a huge factor for me in terms of success, because I don't want to potentially grow old and look back at all of the things I did not do because I was afraid. The outcomes would always be unknown, and therefore I would feel defeated, the polar opposite of success. And I don't want to end my life in defeat.

shrills

Exactly. Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy relative security, and that's almost as good. I'd be a lot happier on a day-to-day basis if my debts were paid and my savings account had a six month cushion. I don't know that it would make me happy enough to go singing through the forest like a Disney princess, but I would at least be able to stop fretting so much every time a bill drops in my mailbox.
I have to concur with money augmenting happiness. From my perspective, the distribution method of your money is what leads to success. If I was as rich as a Kardashian, for intents and purpose, I wouldn't constantly invest in products and businesses that would only give me more money that I would never see in my entire life. I would be charitable and I would go out of my way to help people on a casual basis, because I know what it feels like to be at the store or just at work thinking, "damn, if I had just ONE more dollar, or a bit more saved up, I wouldn't have to do this, I could help with this, etc." I don't want to see anyone struggle. The ability to help people feeds my soul.