What's new

Mindful of Our Future

MaryH

My ears have perked up to all of the recent talk about mindfulness.

We have immense control over our mindset and the choices that we make, and it starts with being mindful.

Being mindful of our thoughts - remembering that our thoughts are not "us," instead, focus on reality and do not become your first thought!

Being mindful of our bodies - how we breathe, what we hear, how we (should) release tension.

Being mindful of how we treat others - we are all stewards to each other. One little action can make ripples...and let's try to make it pleasant.

The list goes on, and I am fascinated by all of it. Every single thing we do in life is a choice. Every choice becomes our future.

AdamC

Very nice insights, MaryH. I fully agree. The distinction between us and our thoughts is especially thought-provoking. Many of us are raised with the Western notion of "I think therefore I am." Maybe this has resulted in an indelible association between who we are and what we think. But that would mean that every negative thought, every notion of self-doubt, and every thought about fear would also automatically be a piece of our identity. I like the idea of divorcing myself from all the negative garbage in my head and choosing the positive stuff as what encapsulates who I am. Very cool observations, MaryH.

MaryH

Very nice insights, MaryH. I fully agree. The distinction between us and our thoughts is especially thought-provoking. Many of us are raised with the Western notion of "I think therefore I am." Maybe this has resulted in an indelible association between who we are and what we think. But that would mean that every negative thought, every notion of self-doubt, and every thought about fear would also automatically be a piece of our identity. I like the idea of divorcing myself from all the negative garbage in my head and choosing the positive stuff as what encapsulates who I am. Very cool observations, MaryH.
Thank you, AdamC. I am inspired by this thought process as well. As I was thinking about mindfulness, I ran across a post about Earl Nightingale, specifically some of his quotes: https://www.inc.com/peter-economy/37-earl-nightingale-quotes-that-will-empower-you-to-soar-high.html. I especially like #12. Our "diamonds" are our opportunities. We may not see these things if we are worried about something else!

JJ1203

Fantastic post, MaryH! You brought up many great points and applications for mindfulness. One of the areas that I try to be very mindful is what I allow to enter my eyes and my ears. So much of what we watch and listen to affects us in deep ways that we don't usually recognize.

I heard a pastor say that we are like toothpaste tubes. When the stress of life squeezes us, it is what we have put into ourselves that comes out... and you can't put it back in! (Slightly paraphrased from Pastor Reggie Scarborough, http://www.fwclakeland.org/)

When I heard this it had a great impact on me and how I choose what (and sometimes who) I allow in my life and environment.

MaryH

Fantastic post, MaryH! You brought up many great points and applications for mindfulness. One of the areas that I try to be very mindful is what I allow to enter my eyes and my ears. So much of what we watch and listen to affects us in deep ways that we don't usually recognize.

I heard a pastor say that we are like toothpaste tubes. When the stress of life squeezes us, it is what we have put into ourselves that comes out... and you can't put it back in! (Slightly paraphrased from Pastor Reggie Scarborough, http://www.fwclakeland.org/)

When I heard this it had a great impact on me and how I choose what (and sometimes who) I allow in my life and environment.
Wow, I love the analogy of the toothpaste tube! I am convinced, being mindful of everything we absorb, how we think (how we process what we see and hear), is so important to personal growth. Mindfulness is much more than a cliche.

Genevieve

Great thread with lots of insights to ponder! I like the toothpaste analogy as well. I'm a firm believer in taking care of yourself. As a full-time working mother with three cildren, one who has special needs, it's very easy to forget about myself. I know that if I don't put into me (proper sleep, activities I enjoy such as reading, running, and occasional night out with friends) the stresses of life can swallow me up, especially when an hard day "squeezes" me.

As far as being mindful, a large part of mindfulness for me is being present in the moment. It might be in every day tasks such as bathing my child. Instead of checking email while they play, take in their laughter in that moment. While on a stroll around the block, be mindful of how I am feeling, the sunshine on my skin, the sound of leaves rustling. It's just too easy to rush through life in a blur and mindfulness helps you slow down, appreciate things, and really be present in the moment. Now of course I'm not that way all the time and I rush or get overwhelmed, but it's a work in progress. :)

JJ1203

As far as being mindful, a large part of mindfulness for me is being present in the moment. It might be in every day tasks such as bathing my child. Instead of checking email while they play, take in their laughter in that moment. While on a stroll around the block, be mindful of how I am feeling, the sunshine on my skin, the sound of leaves rustling. It's just too easy to rush through life in a blur and mindfulness helps you slow down, appreciate things, and really be present in the moment.
Love the points you made here, Genevieve! I, too, have to remind myself often to enjoy the moments of life, instead of trying to rush through or multitask every moment. There are so many precious moments in life, especially with our children, that should be cherished! I have been working on giving my undivided attention instead of only half paying attention while I try to do other things that truly have no value in the long term.