What's new

Listening to music while writing

Any writers here? I'd like to know what kind of music do you listen to while working? For me, personally, it's deep house because it instantly gets me in the right mood for writing, and there are no words, so no distractions there.

NewMama

Ooooh, I cannot listen to anything when I write, not even music with no lyrics. If it's not silent, I can't concentrate, and I end up getting stuck. I will say though that I do a lot of academic writing but not much creative writing at all. I wonder if that makes a difference? Hm...

ShannonMarie

I love to listen to classical musics. Or sometimes covers of pop songs. I have a hard time writing with lyrics but if I need to be creative I usually turn on my Amy Winehouse Pandora (I know my coworkers tease me for still using pandora).

Katie2100

I listen to classical or pop. I usually turn it on low so I can't understand the lyrics enough to get distracted but it still keeps me awake and motivated to get going. If there's a part where I get a tiny case of writer's block and need to think about something for a moment I hit pause.

JohnK

I often listen to ambient playlists on Spotify. Those are very calming for me, and they help me focus on what I'm writing. I try to never listen to anything too loud, and I avoid anything with singing.