What's new

Keeping Family Close

ethanez

I’ve noticed that as my mother has grown older, her relationship with her siblings have waned. Her elderly parents have been a constant source of stress and have caused tension between her family. Thankfully, my four siblings are all very close, despite living far away. I wonder how your family dynamics have changed over time and some ways to stay close and in touch?

ltk20

I try to schedule regular phone calls with family members to keep in touch. My grandmother and I have had a standing Thursday evening call for years.

mhess

As the oldest of nine children and the first to marry and move out, it's been tough to find the perfect balance of togetherness and boundaries. It seems like the more I try to establish times to get together, the more time my family demands. I've found that you have to find the balance of interaction with family that works for you, because not everyone will be happy with the arrangement. It all comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Trey.ru.iii

I'm glad you have a strong connection with your family! The foundations of a perennial, healthy, and meaningful relationship with your family starts with the connection between the children. It is difficult as kids in a household to see how years down the line they very well could be the only family they have. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your parents will pass away, and the you will have to look to your siblings to keep a connection with your childhood family. It starts with a loving culture at home, and continues with phone calls and communications even when siblings physically move away from each as they grow older and form their own lives.