What's new

Keep pushing forward even if you have setbacks.

Termar30

How do you keep moving forward even if you have had setbacks in your life? Do you need others for assistance? Are you a self-starter continuing to work towards your goal? Do you discover more about yourself along the way? Please share with me what helps you.

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Termar30,

The biggest thing that helps me is to, as Dori says, "Keep on swimming!" After so many setbacks, I don't dwell on them. I just tell myself, "step, step, step" and my metaphorical foot can't help but to keep putting one in front of the other as it applies to reaching my goals.

Welcome to our community!

So very true! One of the basic truths in life, and one of the very best components of it, is that regardless of what happened today, the sun will rise tomorrow and it will be a new day to take on the world and make the best of both life and of yourself! Resiliency is key, and it is human nature to keep striving to be the best, and doing everything possible to keeping hope alive to achieve our dreams, as outlandish as they may sometimes appear to be. You never know, you could just be one step away!

Ssandra

How do you keep moving forward even if you have had setbacks in your life? Do you need others for assistance? Are you a self-starter continuing to work towards your goal? Do you discover more about yourself along the way? Please share with me what helps you.
Maybe I am a bit pessimistic, but... what is the alternative?

Seriously, having to start over and over and over again sucks. But giving up is not an option (I would still like to eat, I cannot commit suicide because I have a responsibility for my daughter, so... going on is the only thing that is possible.

I am not always so dark, but on my darkest moments thinking like this helps me. It is not an option to not go on, so I might as well.

AllisonST32

Someone once told me that you never need to wait and start over. Having a bad day at work? Just step back, take a deep breath, and give yourself a few moments to gather your thoughts. I try and apply that technique to everyday situations all the time. If I encounter a setback, no matter how big or small, I just take a second to breathe and evaluate. Setbacks can feel like the end of the world at the moment but in reality, it is just a small bump in the road before you reach your destination.

Termar30

Maybe I am a bit pessimistic, but... what is the alternative?

Seriously, having to start over and over and over again sucks. But giving up is not an option (I would still like to eat, I cannot commit suicide because I have a responsibility for my daughter, so... going on is the only thing that is possible.

I am not always so dark, but on my darkest moments thinking like this helps me. It is not an option to not go on, so I might as well.
Thanks for taking a moment to share. I know we all have dark thoughts from time to time but, I agree with you, there isn't another option than to move on. Keep movin' on, keep living for the moment and if you really have a problem and have to start over, just do it. Start over and make every day worth your time. We have to look forward and don't look back.

negedemeg

I think the best is allowing yourself to take time to grieve or feel bad, but knowing when it's time to pull yourself out of the funk and forget about it so you can keep it pushing.

r.nuno29

I recently read the book, Failing Forward by John Maxwell which I feel is super relevant to your post! I have been putting into practice the concepts taught here and they've really helped me move forward after a setback. Maxwell talks about having a positive mindset and learning how to control what happens to us. Failures are really just opportunities for self growth! Consequently, when I am feeling down I keep my brain busy. I prioritize my day and am very clear about the things I want to achieve. This has helped me learn more about myself and work towards my goals.