What's new

Hypnosis/Meditation for Children?

ldlittle

Anyone have any thoughts about whether hypnosis or some sort of guided meditation would help a child as young as eight? My daughter suffers from a lot of anxiety and has a hard time calming her thoughts during daytime activities, but particularly struggles at night. She's a very mature 8 and has always been described as an old soul in a young body. She has a hard time being "present" in the moment and enjoying where she is and what she's experiencing without thinking 10 steps ahead. We've tried books on CD at night but that doesn't seem to really calm her mental chatter. She reads, but will often stay up past ALL of the family which affects her energy the next day.

settinggoals321

I don't know if you would prefer methods that your daughter could do by herself, but something that I have found helpful in the past is a guided meditation, of sorts, with a parent. This technique has been helpful for me in the past. It is a technique where the child lies down and closes his or her eyes. The parent sits next to the bed and very quietly and calmly guides the child through meditation. This method can be adjusted, depending on the child's needs, but usually the parent will say softly, "All of your worries and stress will start at the top of your head, and we're going to slowly push them out." It is kind of difficult to explain, but basically, the meditation puts focus on various parts of the body, with the parent saying something like, "And now we reach your arms. Relax and let the tension in your arms go," and so on. This is somewhat a long process, but it can be helpful. Letting the child focus on tension and then being guided around letting that tension and stress go can be soothing. I have heard that this technique can be especially effective when a back massage is incorporated, as this helps relieve physical tension, but this would depend on the individual needs of the child.

ldlittle

I don't know if you would prefer methods that your daughter could do by herself, but something that I have found helpful in the past is a guided meditation, of sorts, with a parent. This technique has been helpful for me in the past. It is a technique where the child lies down and closes his or her eyes. The parent sits next to the bed and very quietly and calmly guides the child through meditation. This method can be adjusted, depending on the child's needs, but usually the parent will say softly, "All of your worries and stress will start at the top of your head, and we're going to slowly push them out." It is kind of difficult to explain, but basically, the meditation puts focus on various parts of the body, with the parent saying something like, "And now we reach your arms. Relax and let the tension in your arms go," and so on. This is somewhat a long process, but it can be helpful. Letting the child focus on tension and then being guided around letting that tension and stress go can be soothing. I have heard that this technique can be especially effective when a back massage is incorporated, as this helps relieve physical tension, but this would depend on the individual needs of the child.
I tried this last night with my daughter and it worked out very well. I think she initially found it humorous but settled down and I noticed her breathing finally relaxed and she was asleep within minutes. Thanks for the help!

I would have her try a hypnosis tape. My favorite place to get tapes is from Dr. Steve G Jones. He's got plenty of hypnosis recordings that deal with anxiety, peace of mind, sleep issues, etc. You can get them here: https://stevegjones.com/hypnosis-mp3s/. Most are under $20. I was always skeptical about hypnosis, but I know a close friend who was practically a hypochondriac, and she swears Steve's recording cured it. Guided meditation also sounds like it could work, but I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about it haha. I hope she's feeling better soon!