What's new

How do you get to sleep?

ckang96

I remember my Lit teacher in high school telling me that she tries to focus on building her dream house to fall asleep, and I've always thought that was so interesting. I personally try to tell a story in my head, but what other methods do people use to fall asleep, especially when you're having a bout of insomnia?

Ecoleman24

Much like you I like to go to sleep with on of my many unwritten tales flowing through my head. I've done this to fall asleep for as long as I can remember. Other than that I use the age old method of reading.

btelli

I remember my Lit teacher in high school telling me that she tries to focus on building her dream house to fall asleep, and I've always thought that was so interesting. I personally try to tell a story in my head, but what other methods do people use to fall asleep, especially when you're having a bout of insomnia?
That is interesting, but I don’t think it would work for me personally. I would get too excited about the possibility of it actually happening and try to think of ways to incorporate my dream home into my real home.

I typically watch something on tv that doesn’t particularly pique my interest, or close my eyes and relax my body one section at a time, clear my mind, and imagine total darkness, and let the peace and quiet take over.

JTiara23

What I do in order to go to sleep is take a long hot bath, I light candles and I read a book, and I also like to softly play some music. The bath relaxes my body, and the music helps lull me to sleep. Once I am out of the tub, I end up being so sleepy that I fall into a fitful sleep, and am able to have a good night, and I wake up well rested.

tdp1205

I almost have to read for about 15 minutes before I go to sleep. I also pick a category (like place names or animals) and try to think of one for each letter of the alphabet. For some reason, that lulls me to sleep.

Also, what I've heard about backlit screens before bed is definitely true for me. If I've been looking at my phone or tablet right up until bedtime, I find it takes me quite a bit longer to fall asleep. My Kindle does not have the same effect because it's not backlit.

tdp

r.nuno29

Reading! I have trouble sleeping but have found that reading is a great way to prepare me for sleep. It tires me out and makes my eyes weary. Yes, finding the motivation to read can be hard, but it helps!