What's new

How do I balance my career and taking care of my kids

Paty100

I recently found out that I have no idea what has been going on in the life of my two kids. Ever since my promotion, I come home from work long after my husband. No matter how tired I am, I still try to check on my two kids everytime I get back but they are either asleep or doing assignments in their rooms. On weekends I still have to work, though this is a personal job to earn extra cash. My husband said I should be patient and that things will change eventually but I'm getting worried.
Please any ideas or tips on how I can create enough time for my family and still make money to support my husband?

Ssandra

Quality over quantity. Make sure that at least once a week you have a few hours for each child to do something with them that is only for them. Don't force them to talk to you, but just enjoy time spend together.

jpmaven

No matter how great your career and the number of promotions you get, you don't want to miss out on your children's lives especially when they're young because you'll never get that time back.

jpmaven

Also keep in mind that jobs and promotions will always be there while watching your children come of age is indeed once in a lifetime opportunity. Please make time for your kids.

Einarthl

If you think that your weekends job its taking too much time of your life cut it off and cut some innecesary things with it I. Or try to find a new job or something you may be able to do with your kids.

Paty100

Quality over quantity. Make sure that at least once a week you have a few hours for each child to do something with them that is only for them. Don't force them to talk to you, but just enjoy time spend together.

Paty100

Thanks for your advice. I am actually thinking of having a scale of preference, so that i can cut out things that don't add value to my life. And focus more on my kids.

Paty100

If you think that your weekends job its taking too much time of your life cut it off and cut some innecesary things with it I. Or try to find a new job or something you may be able to do with your kids.
Thanks for your advice. I am actually thinking of having a scale of preference, so that i can cut out things that don't add value to my life. And focus more on my kids.
Thanks. I am thinking of quitting my weekend job soon. I am looking for other means to substitute for it, maybe by working from home or an online job. Just something good that won't be time consuming especially during the weekends.

jpmaven

Thanks. I am thinking of quitting my weekend job soon. I am looking for other means to substitute for it, maybe by working from home or an online job. Just something good that won't be time consuming especially during the weekends.
That's a very good 1st step. Be proud of yourself for realizing something many people don't see nowadays. I'm sure you'll find some very good options online. Your kids will appreciate your weekend presence so much.

Paty100

That's a very good 1st step. Be proud of yourself for realizing something many people don't see nowadays. I'm sure you'll find some very good options online. Your kids will appreciate your weekend presence so much.
Actually, I have started looking into somethings online, and the options have been very good. I have decided to stay at home for this weekend, so that I can focus on myself, and my kids as a start.

Paty100

I actually took last weekend off to really focus on my kids, and guess what? It was an amazing experience, and I loved every moment of getting more involved in the things they would love to do daily.

Paty100

I also need advice on fun activities they would love.
Since I have quit my weekend job, I need to make up for the little time have not been involved in their lives, because have been feeling really guilty about it.

Daedalus

I also need advice on fun activities they would love.
Since I have quit my weekend job, I need to make up for the little time have not been involved in their lives, because have been feeling really guilty about it.
It kinda feels like you've transformed this topic into a new topic. I'm not judging anything, that just seems like a really good topic that almost needs it's own focus. Funny how things develop like that.

mhess

While money and promotions are amazing and important, your family is most important. While the extra cash from your weekend job may be useful, consider cutting back on it so you can watch your children grow up.