What's new

Helping a Friend Going Through Depression

Nick90

I have a friend going through depression, something that I have some experience with myself. He's financially secure and has plenty of friends, but for some reason he has a very low self-esteem. He's getting professional help, but there are still days where I worry about him. He knows that he can reach out to me, but other than being there is there anything else I could be doing? I'd love to help him build his confidence, but I'm not sure if there's anything I can do. Any advice would be great.

chl0206

Hi! I also have a friend going through a similar situation. We've been friends since we were kids...more than 25 years, and it's really difficult to see her go through this. She has been dealing with postpartum depression for about a year and has recently started having some anxiety issues and panic attacks. She has finally started getting professional help.

As her friend, the hardest part as been that feeling of helplessness and really understanding that only she can make the decision to seek help and get better. However, I feel that one thing that has helped is just spending time with her and doing things we've always done together as friends: going to the movies, going out to eat, talking about life. I do think quality time makes a difference and helps people understand there are others in the world that care about them and their wellbeing.

I think building his confidence is something he will have to do on his own, But something you can try is to just listen without judgment. Since you have also been through depression, this seems like something you could provide your friend with. Let him know he's not alone and that you understand where he's coming from. The causes may be different, but I would imagine that experience is the same in a lot of ways. Knowing you are not alone can be a very powerful feeling.

laforth

First, give yourself a pat on the back for trying to help him. I suffer from depression myself, so it is easy for me to see how he can have a good appearance on the "outside," but on the "inside" he is miserable. I know how that game goes, I play it all the time!

Depression is often hereditary, and despite one's efforts to remain positive and live a good life, it can take hold and bring us down. He probably has low self-esteem from experiences in his past which he may not have told you, and maybe never will. The best thing for you to do is keep checking in with him regularly, offer to meet up for dinner, go for a walk together, or meet for coffee and chat. Maybe he'd rather be alone for a while, and that's ok too. Ask him what he likes to do for self-care. Listen without judgment and listen without giving advice. Sometimes people just want someone to be there for them, just to listen, not to give their two cents.

Nick90

Thanks for your advice everyone. I know I can't do everything for him, but I'm going to work hard at the things I can. I'm going to keep reassuring him that I'm always there, and try and do more with him. We're going to play tennis tomorrow, so that's a start!