Hear Ye, Med Student Freshies!

Jun 25, 2018
This might sound as a cliché, but as early as five, I have been aspiring to become a medical doctor. And just with the right amount of hard work and favor from Above, I landed a scholarship from one of Philippines' prestigious medical schools. The application for med schools are long and tedious, but nothing will beat the challenges that freshmen will face when they get inside the arena.

The amount of stress in medical school is hard to describe for those who have not personally experienced it. But to give you a glimpse of it, one lecture of Biochemistry in med school is equal to one semester of Organic Chemistry in college, and you have no time to complain about it because another semester-worth of load is waiting for you in your afternoon class, and you have to absorb it all really fast for your upcoming quizzes at the end of the week, which amount for your final exams in your undergraduate course. But do not fret, aspiring ones, anything worth having is hard at first, anyway. So you just have to endure a little while to get used to the culture and trauma.

It is never my intention to discourage anyone who sincerely desire to pursue this track, but I never sugarcoat the price it takes to be entrusted with someone's life in the future. This is just to speak based from my experience.

I am currently in third year, and I still have a lot to learn. But for freshmen out there, you can consider me as a big sister. I am more than willing to suggest study strategies and youtube channels that helped me during the first year of this journey. And if you are feeling frustrated and disappointed, feel free to message me. :)

Will be updating this thread soon for more tips. Have a nice day!

Last edited:

Uncle Dil

Jul 29, 2018
This might sound as a cliché, but as early as five, I have been aspiring to become a medical doctor. And just with the right amount of hard work and favor from Above, I landed a scholarship from one of Philippines' prestigious medical schools. The application for med schools are long and tedious, but nothing will beat the challenges that freshmen will face when they get inside the arena.

The amount of stress in medical school is hard to describe for those who have not personally experienced it. But to give you a glimpse of it, one lecture of Biochemistry in med school is equal to one semester of Organic Chemistry in college, and you have no time to complain about it because another semester-worth of load is waiting for you in your afternoon class, and you have to absorb it all really fast for your upcoming quizzes at the end of the week, which amount for your final exams in your undergraduate course. But do not fret, aspiring ones, anything worth having is hard at first, anyway. So you just have to endure a little while to get used to the culture and trauma.

It is never my intention to discourage anyone who sincerely desire to pursue this track, but I never sugarcoat the price it takes to be entrusted with someone's life in the future. This is just to speak based from my experience.

I am currently in third year, and I still have a lot to learn. But for freshmen out there, you can consider me as a big sister. I am more than willing to suggest study strategies and youtube channels that helped me during the first year of this journey. And if you are feeling frustrated and disappointed, feel free to message me. :)

Will be updating this thread soon for more tips. Have a nice day!

"one lecture of Biochemistry in med school is equal to one semester of Organic Chemistry in college"
-Coming from a medical school grad (MD), this is not even remotely true...some lectures all you will learn is glycolysis. I can't tell if your statement is hyperbole or if you are being genuine. Yes, I will agree that medical school is mentally draining, but that statement is utterly false. I found some classes in undergrad more difficult than medical school.

Jun 25, 2018
Hello Uncle Dil! I was describing my genuine experience and not a hyperbole. But thinking about it, I guess it also depends on the course we took in college. If one came from a Biochemistry course, I suppose some topics in biochemistry would really be too detailed compared to what Medical school needs to teach in their curriculum. Nevertheless, i respect our differences in our educational system. I just cited that particular experience because it personally overwhelmed me during my first year in med school. Thanks for your input! :)