What's new

Goals; redefined

nhenrick

It is often said that it's important to be a good goal setter in life if we want to be able to get things done and be successful. The problem is figuring out what exactly is a goal, and what is a daily chore.

To me, a goal is something that, when accomplished, allows you to either 1. learn something new, 2. make more money, or 3. provide forward progress in your life, without repeating such action within a finite amount of time. For example, Saying "going to the gym" is my goal would be incorrect. A better goal would be "lose 10 pounds by next Sunday". The difference is that going to the gym might lead me to my goal, but it, in and of itself, is not a goal, because it does not have a specific end date and is too vague in nature. Going to the gym is a chore. A chore, the way I see it, is an action or event that has to be repeatedly done over and over with little-to-no major value contributed to one's life after it is completed. Cleaning the toilet every day will definitely keep it much cleaner than a public restroom for sure, but cleaning the toilet every day has no direction. If your goal is "have the house cleaned by 3 pm", then yes, cleaning the toilet is a byproduct of you setting that goal, but accomplishing just the toilet by itself does not result in a clean house.

The main point is that the goal should be specific and clear. Someone should be able to look at a list of your goals and have no questions. Let's still use the goal listed above; "go to the gym". One could ask; "are you trying to lose weight? Are you trying to bulk up? Does your wife work there and you go visit her?". A goal with no specificity or clarity simply becomes a confused chore.

Set goals that propel you forward in life, don't leave people guessing, and that have a clear end date. This way, progress can be made, and the checklist of accomplishments starts racking up pretty quick.