What's new

Getting Into Mindfulness

Nick90

I've been hearing a lot about mindfulness recently, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get into it. Are there any books or websites that you might recommend? Any mindfulness techniques that you find helpful in your everyday life?

tdp1205

There are many ways you can approach mindfulness. The whole idea is to get your mind into the present and away from dwelling on things that might happen (which are usually negative things).

You can concentrate on your breathing. Observe the breath going in and out, and if you remember high school biology, imagine how each breath is bringing oxygen to your body and taking away the waste.

You can also try sitting quietly and listening for five different sounds, one at a time. When you hear the sound, think about where it’s coming from, what it means, etc. Don’t use this technique during the storm though, just before the weather picks up.

The technique that’s worked best for me is using an article of clothing or something on your person. Feel it between your fingers, think about what it is or what it does, and think about anything else you can related to the object or piece of clothing.

tdp

Nick90

There are many ways you can approach mindfulness. The whole idea is to get your mind into the present and away from dwelling on things that might happen (which are usually negative things).

You can concentrate on your breathing. Observe the breath going in and out, and if you remember high school biology, imagine how each breath is bringing oxygen to your body and taking away the waste.

You can also try sitting quietly and listening for five different sounds, one at a time. When you hear the sound, think about where it’s coming from, what it means, etc. Don’t use this technique during the storm though, just before the weather picks up.

The technique that’s worked best for me is using an article of clothing or something on your person. Feel it between your fingers, think about what it is or what it does, and think about anything else you can related to the object or piece of clothing.

tdp
Thanks so much! I tried the breathing exercise, was very relaxing and I definitely felt more calm and focused. Will definitely keep up with that, going to try the sound and clothing exercises soon. Thanks again!

Yomna

The breathing exercises are certainly very beneficial. There are several forms of breathing exercises out there. The one with the visualization mentioned above is very beneficial. You can also try breathing in for 3 counts, holding your breath for 3 counts and then letting it out for 3 counts. You can increase the number of counts depending on how comfortable it is for you.

In general, yoga, meditation, breathing exercises, focusing on specific things in the external environment are all ways to increase mindfulness and the more you practice them, the more your mind is able to easily stay in the moment.