What's new

Football salaries worth the long term mental toll?

fiskeybusiness

It seems to be the hot button topic in the football world right now, CTE, or Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. This is a degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma. With more and more research coming out everyday about how this disease is so closely associated with football players (Ex. Junior Seau, Aaron Hernandez) the NFL has made attempts to make the sport less dangerous by trying to limit head-to-head contact, what they consider the most dangerous types of hits.

So my question is this, do you guys think the salaries that NFL players make, often many of millions of dollars, are worth the chances of being diagnosed with this type of degenerative brain disease? I won't get into it but side-effects for this disease can be quite serious and life-altering. That being said, a multi-million dollar contract can also be quite life altering.

Let me know what you think! If you have any ideas about possibly making the game safer please let me know as well below!

Sflom

It seems to be the hot button topic in the football world right now, CTE, or Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. This is a degenerative brain disease found in athletes, military veterans, and others with a history of repetitive brain trauma. With more and more research coming out everyday about how this disease is so closely associated with football players (Ex. Junior Seau, Aaron Hernandez) the NFL has made attempts to make the sport less dangerous by trying to limit head-to-head contact, what they consider the most dangerous types of hits.

So my question is this, do you guys think the salaries that NFL players make, often many of millions of dollars, are worth the chances of being diagnosed with this type of degenerative brain disease? I won't get into it but side-effects for this disease can be quite serious and life-altering. That being said, a multi-million dollar contract can also be quite life altering.

Let me know what you think! If you have any ideas about possibly making the game safer please let me know as well below!

I am curious, what percentage of NFL players get diagnosed with CTE?

sunshinegal

Malcolm Gladwell has a great podcast about CTE and the unwillingness of UPenn’s athletic department to acknowledge the danger they put their player in...definitely recommend it. I admire the changes football programs have instated, but they’re just not comprehensive enough yet. Given that the head trauma would start well before the guarantee of an NFL salary, I would not be able to justify it for a family member or myself.

khop83

Malcolm Gladwell has a great podcast about CTE and the unwillingness of UPenn’s athletic department to acknowledge the danger they put their player in...definitely recommend it. I admire the changes football programs have instated, but they’re just not comprehensive enough yet. Given that the head trauma would start well before the guarantee of an NFL salary, I would not be able to justify it for a family member or myself.
That podcast was fantastic, I love Gladwell's stuff. I've been a football fan my entire life, but it's hard to deny the long-term effects of CTE, not just on professionals, but on our children. I fear not only for the professionals, but for the middle/high school and college kids who are suffering repeated head trauma without the multi-million dollar salary that would allow them to see the best doctors. Even after listening to Gladwell's podcast, I have a hard time reconciling my enjoyment of the game with the medical consequences.

TroySoldier

I think every individual can make their own decisions. With young people (25 and under), they know the consequences of playing such a violent sport. Quality of life should always play a factor, including health and wealth.

negedemeg

I don't think any amount of money is worth permanent damage to your physical and emotional health but that's just me. I have no idea how someone else would price that, but I guess I can't blame them for making millions to get beat up all day.

Moty_Vatyd

It's probably not a static question. When players are younger and making millions, living the affluent lifestyle and celebrity that comes with it, it might seem worth the risk. Then, later, when they can't remember their wife's or child's name, it suddenly seems as though it wasn't worth it. It always easier to assess decisions with hindsight, but in the moment, it's far more difficult. Maybe some players don't think the probability of it happening to them is very high. Everybody sees risk and reward differently.