What's new

Finding Happiness in Social Media

M

magikheart

Technology and social media bombard us at every turn. Even our phones provide notifications when people update their twitter and Facebook. I'm curious what technquies you use to help cancel out all of these ego-blasting posts. Yes, I have turned off my notifications, but how can you enjoy social media without feeling bad about yourself?

NeuroSkillz Admin

Administrator
Staff member

Decantrix

I've watched multiple TED Talks regarding the negative impact of social media, and just, plain being constantly connected. I love their web site, and how they categorize talks on specific topics. This page has both the negatives and the positives, included together, here:
https://www.ted.com/topics/social+media

But, Like you, @magikheart, it makes me crazy sometimes, and I honestly want to just throw my phone in the Bay, nearby here.... It's sad to realize how many people living today don't remember what it was like to write letters, or to sit and be bored for a bit. That's where the genius sprouts! Thanks for starting this thread!

OlgaC

It is true. Social media is bombarding us with notifications about stuff we don't really need to know. Personally, I turned off the notifications about things I do not care about. Before going to bed I turn off my phone and leave it in another room so that when I wake up, I don't start my day by browsing the social media.
I noticed that I am much more happier and more connected to the real life when I don't check social media often.

dansecaribe

I try to mute my notifications and only check it every once in a while. I do have a mild obsession with Instagram, though. It is very easy for me to get caught up checking out what my favorite celebrities are up to. That - and all the strange slime and neat recipe videos. I think social media is extremely entertaining, but as with anything, it benefits us to monitor how much we use it.

happygolucky

Like others here, I've turned off virtually all my social media notifications. I check my updates only if I open the apps. I like social media because it lets me keep up with friends and family members I'm geographically distant from but I can recognize that it's a big stress factor at times. I definitely have to pay attention to how I use it.

InvestedWriter

Social media has been a big help to me in combating my own social anxiety, but it took time to manage the platform so that I could focus on communicating with those with engaging and memorable voices. The internet insulates us from the real world, and some use that for negative purposes. You have to learn to ignore those negative people and the bombardment of extraneous information.

There are communities out there for everyone that they can find through social media, and it's important not to miss those because you're distracted by all the negativity.

ImagineIt!

I think one of the most important things to remember about most social media (and I'm mainly referring to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), is that you are not seeing anything resembling the real life of most of the people who seem to be posting non-stop. No one is going to post a photo of their tear-streaked face after they were fired (or mention that it was the third job they've lost in as many months). People show themselves in the best light at the best moments. In truth, their life probably has little, if any, resemblance, to the person they portray themselves to be.

I know someone and I've known her for years, she lives near me, who is addicted to posting to Facebook. Since having her children, she has put on about 80 pounds, which she never took off. For the photos she posts of herself, she uses apps with filters and just does face shots. She looks gorgeous. No one seems to wonder what's going on from the shoulders down. And, I'm not big on physical beauty or saying it's bad that she gained 80 pounds. In fact, I think it's irrelevant. But, she doesn't, so she is careful to make herself look beautiful when she posts a photo of herself. The same woman is one of the worst mothers I've ever seen. She doesn't invest any meaningful energy into her kids or their development. But, they're very cute and she like to dress them up and pose them for photos. I've seen her ignore her kids, or be verbally abusive to them, while she is at that very moment posting "adorable" photos of them on FB. To look at her FB page, you would think she Mother of the Year. She posts recipes, yet might make homecooked meals half a dozen times a year. I realize that not everyone does this, but it's prevalent enough.

The lesson: never, ever compare yourself negatively to the "perfect" people you're connected to on social media.