What's new

Dry Eyes

Uncle Dil

I have a job where I spend the predominant part of my day staring a computer screen writing patient notes. I am suffering badly from dry eyes. Does anyone have any tips/tricks for this? I do wear contacts, and I guess I could wear my glasses a little more often. Other than that, are there any drops you'd recommend? I want to be as productive as I possibly can and keep working, but my eyes just get so severely dry that at times the screen is challenging to read.

hg93

Hi there! I’m not a medical professional, but there are some artificial tears or eye lubricants you can buy over the shelf. Would be good to go see an optometrist.

Edzky_18

Hi! Just a healthy reminder.

You need to have your eyes check by the right doctor. It's very dangerous to try droppinh anything in our eyes without consulting the proper authorities. Someone I know was almost blinded by just doing that.

hayeske

I used to have a job that required me to be in front of a computer for upwards of 10 hours per day, and I definitely wound up with dry eyes. My optometrist recommended GenTeal Gel for days I was wearing my glasses, and the Blink Tears single-use vials for the days I wore contacts. The gel is really uncomfortable to use, but it lubricates more. And the Blink was the only drop that didn't make my contacts feel gritty by the end of the day. I hope that helps!

mr0001

I agree with @Edzky_18 - make sure you ask a health professional first!

There are also a few (non-invasive) fixes you could try before going in to see an eye doctor. Here are a few my doctor recommended when I encountered the same problem at a prior job.

1) Every 20 minutes, take a quick 20-second break to look at something at least 20 feet away. (She calls this the 20-20-20 rule.) This was super helpful, especially on days when I was staring at tiny numbers on multiple spreadsheets for 14+ hours. Sometimes, after those 20-second breaks, it's almost like I could feel something adjust in my eyes - my vision went from a little blurry to clear again.

2) If you wear contact lenses, switch to glasses for half or the full workday. This also really helped me. My doctor said that wearing your contact lens for more than 8-10 hours daily can be really dangerous. It can dry out your eyes so much, you can't even handle the lenses for 1-2 hours after awhile.

3) Adjust the lighting in and around your workspace to avoid glare, too-bright, or too-dim conditions. I didn't adjust the lighting but I did get one of those anti-glare screens for my computer monitor.

4) Drink less caffeine and make sure you're getting your 8-10 glasses of water per day. I was already doing this so it didn't change things for me. But it might for you!

Hope this helps! :)