What's new

Depressed family member

JohnK

I have a member of my immediate family who has struggled with depression for years, but will not seek treatment. He sees it as a waste of time, and says he can solve his own problems. Meanwhile, he is more and more reliant on alcohol to feel happy. Can anyone help me convince him to seek treatment? I really think it would do him some good.

I have a member of my immediate family who has struggled with depression for years, but will not seek treatment. He sees it as a waste of time, and says he can solve his own problems. Meanwhile, he is more and more reliant on alcohol to feel happy. Can anyone help me convince him to seek treatment? I really think it would do him some good.
I'd say its time for a forced intervention. Alcohol and depression is a nasty combination which may lead to something even more severe, the life and mental well being of your family member might be in jeopardy. I think right now he is in no condition to take corrective measures so it falls on you to do it for him. Time is of the essence in a situation like this.