What's new

Definition of Success

Moty_Vatyd

I think that in order to pursue "success" you have to have a firm grasp on just what success means to you. The standard definition entails the accumulation of wealth and consumer items. When I was younger I accepted this definition unquestioningly but, over the years, have since discarded it. In the age of YouTube you can watch people pursuing and exploring different avenues of life that have nothing to do with accumulating money or "stuff". Many of them are living more interesting and fulfilling lives than those who only chase money. So, I think that you really need to spend time searching out what is important to you and avoid any predetermined paths that society tends to push you into. Only then can you define success and start to pursue it. I would be interested to hear what paths others are taking and their definition of success, especially those that have tried to avoid the 9-5 job route.

jay05

The best definition of success I have encountered is that it means getting up every day and doing what you want to do, when and how you want to do it. That's a very fluid definition, but it is also sensible. If I like my day job, and I want to get up and go do it every day, then I am successful. Note how this doesn't touch on any objective incentives such as money or accolades. If you are intrinsically pleased with your work, then you will have found success, and anything else is a bonus.

I try to live for this ideal. It gets easier as I get older and priorities become clearer.