What's new

Deep Meditation

InvestedWriter

It took me a long time to understand just how important it can be to take time to stop and reflect. When I was young, I just wanted to get through school days so that I could play games and hang out with friends as long as possible. As I grow older, my focus has increasingly become driven by the need to maximize every minute. I had to set aside time to just calm my mind, and one way I found to fully find that peace without distraction is meditation, in particular one that relies on self-hypnosis.

It starts by creating a quiet familiar location, somewhere you feel comfortable that also won't be disturbed by unnecessary sounds. I generally do this early in the day, shortly after waking up. I then shut my eyes and begin counting my breaths, heavily focusing on the intake and exhale. This allows me to free my mind and open up my thoughts particularly with steady repetition until my thoughts can freely wander above the measured breaths. I set a timer just in case I go way over my intended time, but generally I try to escape my own hypnosis by reaching the expected end of my breathing count. I started at 100 but now go about 500 breaths.

Over time, this technique has allowed me to calm myself and also come up with more creative ideas that I try to write down right after I am done. I can't take credit for the technique as I learned it from a friend, but I think it is a fairly simple way to find peace and avoid the anxieties of the day for a few minutes.

I am still new to the process, but it has done wonders for relaxing my mind. What do you do to relax? Have you ever tried self-hypnosis meditation? Let me know.

dansecaribe

Hi there! I agree that deep meditation can be extremely impactful and can change the way we feel and think within a very short amount of time. Which is why I rely a lot of meditation apps on my phone for when I need a break. Mindfulness is hard to achieve, but this and yoga, alongside some relaxing ambient music, helps me calm down. I have always been intrigued by self-hypnosis, but a part of me is very scared to give up that much control. I don't know what would happen if I tried it out!

This may sound silly, but I’m going to throw this out there...
A band called Macaroni Unicorn (I know-just stay with me) has a piece called “Weightless.” It’s a full 10 hours of sound. It is actually been cautioned not to drive with it playing. It has helped me relax my senses and rest. Go listen to the preview. I am a busy brained person. Rest does not come easily. Give it a try for mediation or just calm.

(I am not affiliated with the group or any other party connected to this. It just works for me.)

tyleralecia

I believe that yoga and meditation go hand in hand. The pranayama part of yoga, the deep breathing exercises, really do help to clear the mind and set your energy on the important things in life. During my yoga certification class, my instructor taught us many different types of breathing techniques that helped our deep meditation process. My favorite one and the easiest one to do is the alternative breathing exercise. Simply, you breathe in with one nose covered then switch to covering the other nostril to breathe out. It helps stimulate neurons in your brain that help you focus and endure stress. While I often lack the time to practice deep meditation, I find that alternative nostril breathing can be done almost anywhere which is very useful in this hectic world!

rejuvenate

Thanks for sharing! I was so intrigued by the band name I had to check them out. It is definitely really soothing and relaxing. I have listened to it before I went to bed these couple of days and it has really helped to put me in a weightless state. Have you tried floating? I think it would be amazing if they had this track at floatspas.

My husband and I did floating once. He loved it! Really. I was not so keen on it because I use a CPAP machine. I have really narrow si us cavities. So when I relax I feel like I can’t breathe. That’s just me. It’s quite warm and cozy and relaxing.