What's new

Debating changes, seeking guidance

ben_paul_22

I am debating making changes in my life, mostly centered around my career. Looking for guidance and trying to find out what works for everyone else when they're trying to make big-picture decisions. Hoping to learn everyday tips from others in the community and excited to do so based on what I've seen so far!

Akita

My advice goes against the grain regarding what's typically taught to school-aged people concerning career choices: don't follow your passion, follow what you're good at. That's been a solid technique many people have followed, including me. Find and research vocations that are centered around your skillset for the best results; look into the most promising one seriously and approach it strategically. Good luck, too!

Uncle Dil

I am debating making changes in my life, mostly centered around my career. Looking for guidance and trying to find out what works for everyone else when they're trying to make big-picture decisions. Hoping to learn everyday tips from others in the community and excited to do so based on what I've seen so far!
Have you sat down and made a pros and cons list for both of the choices? What is the worst thing that could happen if you chose to make the change? Does this risk outweigh the potential positive effect the change will have on you? When you answer these questions, then you can decide if you actually desire to make the change.

ben_paul_22

My advice goes against the grain regarding what's typically taught to school-aged people concerning career choices: don't follow your passion, follow what you're good at. That's been a solid technique many people have followed, including me. Find and research vocations that are centered around your skillset for the best results; look into the most promising one seriously and approach it strategically. Good luck, too!
Thank you for the advice! That's a great point...and that's exactly what I found. I initially chased what I thought to be my passion. As it turns out, I tried to make myself fit into the box I needed to be in for my day-to-day, but it wasn't what I am actually good at. Takes awhile to shift gears, though...

ben_paul_22

Have you sat down and made a pros and cons list for both of the choices? What is the worst thing that could happen if you chose to make the change? Does this risk outweigh the potential positive effect the change will have on you? When you answer these questions, then you can decide if you actually desire to make the change.
Yes, that is something I've done a couple of times. I'm a very practical person, and so pros/cons is always one of my go-tos. Thanks!