What's new

Cutting ties with the corporate world

chl0206

This is a scary prospect to a lot of people, since in modern life a steady, 40-hour-per-week job comes complete with benefits that can be difficult to obtain otherwise. It's something I have contemplated for a long time. I feel a strong desire to be my own boss, do things on my terms, have ownership in my work, and not feel out of touch because I care about the work that I do.

I know we hear a lot of stories about millennials quitting their jobs and traveling the country in campers, but I'm thinking of finding some middle ground between the free spirits and the corporate world. I'm wondering if anyone has taken steps to cut ties with the corporate world and live a simpler lifestyle? If so, what worked for you. If not, is there anyone out there contemplating the same thing?

Yomna

I am exactly at this stage right now :) I used to work for 9 years in a corporate company with amazing benefits but got tired of being so lifeless and stressed out all the time. I chose to quit about a year and a half ago thinking I would get a part-time/self-employment opportunity right away but I was very wrong :) It's a very long process and it can take quite a toll on your self-esteem. I tried to make the most out of my newfound time and energy though. I took up so many classes of things that I always wished I had the time to learn, spent more time with my daughter, went into the professional interpreting field, holistic coaching field, events management...basically I tried all the things I was always contemplating about.

I can't say that it was an easy and rose colored experience because it is very far from that. However, it was a way for me to find myself again and to learn what are things that I like and don't like doing. It was also a great way to become more present in my life and my family's life. Having said that, you need to always have a back-up financial plan because losing the security of the corporate world is certainly a big risk that you need to be prepared for in advance.

chl0206

I am exactly at this stage right now :) I used to work for 9 years in a corporate company with amazing benefits but got tired of being so lifeless and stressed out all the time. I chose to quit about a year and a half ago thinking I would get a part-time/self-employment opportunity right away but I was very wrong :) It's a very long process and it can take quite a toll on your self-esteem. I tried to make the most out of my newfound time and energy though. I took up so many classes of things that I always wished I had the time to learn, spent more time with my daughter, went into the professional interpreting field, holistic coaching field, events management...basically I tried all the things I was always contemplating about.

I can't say that it was an easy and rose colored experience because it is very far from that. However, it was a way for me to find myself again and to learn what are things that I like and don't like doing. It was also a great way to become more present in my life and my family's life. Having said that, you need to always have a back-up financial plan because losing the security of the corporate world is certainly a big risk that you need to be prepared for in advance.
Just curious what things you found that you liked? Other than planning to find a part-time job, did you have any financial back-up (if you don't mind me asking)?

Yomna

I definitely like the freedom. I have the whole day to myself to do yoga, meditate, read the books I've always wanted to read, de-stress, etc. I can sleep whenever I want to, wake up whenever I want to, choose to have a very busy day or not do anything at all.

My financial back-up was in the form of my end-of-service package that my company gives out when someone leaves. Because I had been with them for 9 years so it was a reasonable amount. My husband's salary was also good to keep us at an "average" level of living that was comfortable but did not necessarily have the traveling and splurging that we used to do when I was working. It's definitely going to be a compromise of some sort. You just need to ask yourself what are the things you would be willing to lose compared to the freedom you will gain.

Oaky

I've traveled a bit - but have always ended up having to bounce back between road life and Babylonian stability... of course, I have some goals which should help make staying on the road a bit easier. I'm looking for either a pull-behind camper or RV to utilize as homing, and am working toward starting a traveling lit distro to help fund my moves from location to location. Having furminals creates a bit of a hurdle to overcome, but I look forward to living more freely on the road again... one thing one must know with road life is that money comes and goes, but the adventures are priceless! :)

As an anarchist - finding help along the way has always been easy when times did become a bit tough... knowing how to sniff around and find local mutual aid based organizations, or even participating in collective and community gatherings has always proven to be a great experience!