What's new

Convincing yourself to do something you dislike for greater benefits

Master

Hey people,

What are your opinions / methods for this?

I usually tend to do things that I like most of the time, however, from time to time I do something I dont necessarily enjoy, just for the sake of the benefits.
Something like forcing myself to cut sugar for a period of days.

Do you have any activities where you have to force yourself to do them?
How do you approach it?

Bryan411

I feel that it is important to take calculated risks for greater personal growth. I used to have introverted tendencies before I forced myself to speak with people. I went to networking sessions, made small talk while standing in line, and started conversations at parties. You do not have to force yourself all at once. For example, I would first enter an ongoing conversation before starting one.

Zeitgeist

If I have to do something I don't really want to do, I tell everyone that I'm going to do the thing.

So for me, I absolutely hate waking up early, but the ice rink opens up at 11am, which means that to get there before the crowds so I can practice my jumps I need to be up by 9 and ready to leave by about 10am. If I don't tell someone that I'm going to the rink the next day, I will just hit my snooze alarm until it's too late.

By telling someone, I'm basically creating a faux accountability. Does the other person care whether or not I actually wake up early to go to the rink? Probably not, but because I told someone I have to wake up early, I'm going to do it.

shrills

I evaluate why I dislike something. For a long time I was afraid to try new food because I was comfortable with my usual meals, and I eventually realized that so much more food existed, especially amongst culture that I was hindering myself from out of a fear of bad taste. That's not enough, because taste can be washed down with a few swigs of a drink. I tend to just go for it now. If my dislike is irrational, I reevaluate my preferences to expand my horizons.