What's new

College Student Dealing With Finances

nhenrick

Money. Money. Money.

Everyone could use a little more of it here and there, especially those who decide to take the biggest financial leap of their life; college students.

Going to college seems necessary this day in age, as it provided us with the knowledge and skills needed to get a high paying job and allow us to contribute to society. The only problem is that many kids now days enter college with little to no idea of what they just got themselves into...fincially, that is. College is perhaps the very first major financial decision that young adults decide to make (aside from buying that old beat-up car for a couple grand). The problem is in the preparation. There are not enough high schools dedication to integrating classes designed to teach kids about finances, retirement, and basic wealth management. Half of all college kids probably have no idea what a Roth IRA is. Deciding to go to college is a decision that can drastically affect one's life for the next 20 years. Student loan debt is the number one cause of stress for recent college graduates. This overwhelming debt load is so outrageous that they have to immediately start living frugally and sacrificing money for this monster. It is amazing that college is one of the only times in life where an individual sacrifices both time AND money at the same time. From a business standpoint, a students ROI (Return On Investment) has to be able to outweigh the ridiculously high price they just paid in order to attend their favorite university for 4 years. Simply put, the job a graduate student will get should be able to make up for the time and money spent on getting the degree required to get that job in the first place.

All in all, is college worth it?

If an individual has the knowledge of money management and the realization of just how big a decision it is to go to college, then absolutely.
If not...do yourself a favor and save yourself a lifetime of debt.

shrills

You know what, the closer I am to completing school, the more I am just pissed off by the accumulation of debt college has bestowed upon my life, especially since ultimately, a university is just another business. A day ago, my professor had the nerve to tell us that grading quotas were being specifically supplemented to my major's building. So basically only 3 out of 15 students can receive an A, etc. My blood is boiling at the idea that you can try your hardest, lose half your mind over a class, and burn your pockets to a crisp, only to be told by some random person with paper credentials that you aren't good enough.