What's new

Breaking the “sugar addiction”

Do you believe sugar is addicting? I have always felt it is. The film entitled “Fed Up” is on Netflix and discusses the addiction.

That being said, I am a firm advocate for a nutritarian diet (https://www.drfuhrman.com/get-started). My struggle is overcoming the sugar issue. Sweets, cookies, a slice of cake, freeze pops, a chocolate pastry, etc. As soon as I feel any stress or discomfort- I have already had the cupcake.

How do you view sugar addiction? What has worked to,overcome it for you?

KatieC

Oh man! I agree! Sugar is SO addicting. I made sure to read food labels and started by substituting in natural sugars. So instead of seeing a cookie, I had a bowl of strawberries. This really helped me. Good luck!

shelbyk

Hi guys! Sugar is absolutely addicting- it affects some of the same pleasure centers in the brain as certain drugs, and that "high" you get from sugar is a real thing! Breaking those cravings can be so tough, especially if the habit centers around stress eating from sugar. Mindful eating is key here- if you're stressed or uncomfortable, think about how the sugar is going to help you. It might help you feel better while you're eating it, but what about after? The guilt, shame, and added stress from that has been really helpful to me and those around me. Knowing that the repercussions after eating the sugar are going to make things even worse can be helpful in breaking that cycle

Hi guys! Sugar is absolutely addicting- it affects some of the same pleasure centers in the brain as certain drugs, and that "high" you get from sugar is a real thing! Breaking those cravings can be so tough, especially if the habit centers around stress eating from sugar. Mindful eating is key here- if you're stressed or uncomfortable, think about how the sugar is going to help you. It might help you feel better while you're eating it, but what about after? The guilt, shame, and added stress from that has been really helpful to me and those around me. Knowing that the repercussions after eating the sugar are going to make things even worse can be helpful in breaking that cycle
You are not kidding! It may take 60 seconds to eat the sweet, but then it’s over. Then what? The problem isn’t gone. The emotion isn’t transformed, yet the intense drive is inexplicable to someone who is fortunate enough not to have the issue.

tyleralecia

Sugar can be very addicting as the thought and consumption of the substance releases a hormone called dopamine, a neurotransmitter that controls pleasure into your system, according to addictionresource.com. Essentially, it has been scientifically proven that sugar can be just as addicting as drugs or alcohol. I believe what makes sugar even more dangerous is that it is everywhere and most people are exposed to it at a young age. Ice cream, drinks, cake, pies... all things that are considered apart of daily life but are also extremely bad for your health. Additionally, unlike drugs and alcohol, sugar is accepted in society. Of course your doctors and dentists warn you not to have too much but the same movement towards highlighting how harmful this substance can be for you is nowhere near the movement to limit drugs and alcohol. Needless to say, we all need to be more aware of the effects of sugar.

John S

I have heard many times about how there is too much sugar in our diets. I am by no means an expert but I have seen enough to try to cut down on it. Limiting sugar is difficult to do if you look at labels. I am still searching for more info regarding how to limit it.