What's new

Binaural Beats

marv226

I've been listening to binaural beats while meditating for the past several days and I'm amazed at the results. If you are not familiar with binaural beats, I'll try to explain them but please bear in mind that I am far from being a brain doctor or scientist. My understanding of how it works is as follows:

You have to listen with stereo headphones because beats of different frequencies will play to each ear. In your left ear might be a beat at 700Hz and in your right ear would be one at 690Hz. Your brain would interpret the two beats but would also interpret a third beat at 10Hz (that being the difference between 700Hz and 690Hz). The theory is that the third imaginary beat stimulates our brains in different ways depending on the frequency. According to this article from Medical News Today, the frequencies breakdown like this:

Delta patterns: Binaural beats in the delta pattern are set at a frequency of between 0.1 and 4 Hz, which is associated with dreamless sleep.

Theta patterns: Binaural beats in the theta pattern are set at a frequency of between 4 and 8 Hz, which is associated with sleep in the rapid eye movement or REM phase, meditation, and creativity.

Alpha pattern: Binaural beats in the alpha pattern are set at a frequency of between 8 and 13 Hz, which may encourage relaxation.

Beta pattern: Binaural beats in the beta pattern are set at a frequency of between 14 Hz and 100 Hz, which may help promote concentration and alertness. However, this frequency can also increase anxiety at the higher end of the frequency range.

Some people say that binaural beats can cause hallucinations. I haven't experienced that but I do notice a difference in my meditation practice when I listen to them. I relax faster and go deeper than with music or silence. My anxiety level is lower and my mood is definitely better.

I've been using this video from YouTube but there are a ton more you can try.

Has anyone else tried listening to binaural beats? How did it work for you? Do have recommendations of other videos or audio to try?

howremarkable

That's really cool! I'm not familiar with the concept but I'm definitely going to check it out. It sounds stress-relieving