What's new

Being Consistent

JTiara23

I struggle greatly with being consistent, I will put my mind to something and want to badly get it done, and I might be consistent for sometime and then I will just stop doing it. I want to work on being more consistent and continuing to do what it is that I have set my mind to. I have been told that it takes for someone to do something 21days in a row, or 21times in a row, I am not sure, but I have been told that doing this does build a habit. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can be more persistent when it comes to doing things such as going to the gym, or making healthier eating decisions??

LexiG33

It's true what they say consistency really is key, but I agree it's so hard. For healthy eating I find the ONLY thing that really works for me is keeping track of everything I eat in an app. That way not only am I mindful of calories, but also sugar/sodium/fat/etc. The app I use let's me know when I am getting to much of those bad things and seeing it in black and white makes me want to do better. I tell myself that my body deserves healthy, whole food.
For exercise I think it's important to figure out what kind of workouts you like and then do those. If you don't like crossfit DON'T do crossfit, figure out what works for you. Once you establish the habit of working out you will be able to try new and/or more difficult workouts without fear of quitting altogether because you have established the habit. If you try a new workout and hate it, just go back to what you like.
My best friend and I help each other stay on track although we live across the country from each other. We check in to discuss food choices, share recipes and on Fridays we weight in and let each other know if we have gained, lost or maintained. It's nice to have someone to share this part of my life with and makes me more accountable.

tdp1205

I struggle greatly with being consistent, I will put my mind to something and want to badly get it done, and I might be consistent for sometime and then I will just stop doing it. I want to work on being more consistent and continuing to do what it is that I have set my mind to. I have been told that it takes for someone to do something 21days in a row, or 21times in a row, I am not sure, but I have been told that doing this does build a habit. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can be more persistent when it comes to doing things such as going to the gym, or making healthier eating decisions??
I would agree with what LexiG33 said about logging everything in an app (MyFitnessPal is a good free one). When you have to be accountable, even to an app, it does seem to help with staying on track. MyFitnessPal also lets you log exercise, and it adds calories to what you're allowed to eat that day accordingly. Just seeing what you're eating or doing for exercise in black and white can help you form those good habits.

tdp

JTiara23

Thank you, I do have the MyFitnessPal app, but I do not use it, I will first start with doing that, and as far as working out, I am so out of shape, because things I know for a fact I used to be able to do I just cannot seem to. I was told that I need to build stamina back up before trying such hard exercizes. I believe I can use my sister as an accountability partner, I believe that will also help. Thanks again, to the both of you.

Oaky

I would it always takes moderation as a start... but keep your goals in mind. Consistency is key, but don't fret when you don't achieve your goal right away - work harder, and even if you fail, fail better until you succeed. Know that it's okay to give yourself time and that change is a process and never immediate.

I remember sliding in and out of vegetarianism - and it took a year for my goal to stick, but I was able to attain the knowledge and power to phase meat products out of my diet completely after continuing to keep my goal in mind, and my reasoning at heart.

Best of luck to you in your venture.

JTiara23

Thank you so much, I do learn new things all the time and it really helps me, and I do get better and better as time goes by. I have seen results, small, but this also helps me when feeling like I have failed. Thank you so much for the kind words, I will take them to heart. Good luck as you continue your journey as well.

natjacobsmeier

I think the greatest thing you could do to help yourself succeed is to tie your goal to something tangible. Such as, if you can try get yourself to go to the gym, you could say if I go to the gym 4 times this week I can buy myself a new (small item) face mask I’ve been wanting to try, or a scoop of ice cream once this week. If you relate what you’re wanting to become consistent at to something you like or enjoy, you will become more apt to do that!